Matt W.
Matt W., Mr.
Experience:  Fully licensed and insured electrical contractor

how to wire a Nema 6-50R to a Nema L14-30P... understand the

Customer Question

how to wire a Nema 6-50R to a Nema L14-30P... understand the differences but application does not require a 50amp rating, only 30amp, and standard product comes with 6-50P...
Category: Electrical
Expert:  John D. replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam, I look forward to resolving your electrical problems.

Please provide more information about your project. A NEMA 6-50R is a straight blade receptacle and a NEMA L14-30P is a locking plug. The two cannot mate, it is impossible. It is also highly inadvisable and unsafe to mix amperages of devices in a device. The amperages of each device should match the rated output of the device.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What I'm trying to do is create an adaptor cord that would allow me to bridge between the 6-50 male plug, hence my request for a 6-50 receptacle, and at the other end it needs to have a L14-30 male plug to be inserted in a L14-30 receptacle.

This project is simply to allow running an inverter welder off a portable generator. Both are small and in addition, my input demand will not be anywhere close to 30 amps... In fact, I'm just looking for this an a backup should the new arise meaning this is not intended to be my running condition, just an opti
Expert:  John D. replied 2 years ago.
This is not possible. The 6-50 plug is a three wire connection. The L14-30 receptacle is a four wire connection. As you know, the devices are rated for different amperages. Any connection between these two devices will be unsafe for several reasons. Unfortunately, you cannot make the connection which you are attempting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How about going making the cord from 6-50R and an L5-30 plug? Both are 3 wires.....
Expert:  John D. replied 2 years ago.
True, both are three wires. One is a 30 ampere device, the other is a 50 ampere device. Connection between the two is unsafe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How about a cord using a 6-30R and an L5-30P?
Expert:  John D. replied 2 years ago.
A 6-30R is a 2 pole 3 wire 250 volt receptacle and a L5-30P is a 2 pole 3 wire 125 volt plug. The two devices are not compatible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How aboutwe a 6-30R and L14-30P?
Expert:  John D. replied 2 years ago.
This won't work. Period. End of story.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Then please suggest a solution rather then telling me it won't work. You're the expert right? Why do I find other sources saying its possible?
Expert:  Matt W. replied 2 years ago.
The L 14 30 R is on the generator and you want to connect to the 6-50P, Correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Matt W. replied 2 years ago.

You need to get the matching L 14 30 P (male plug ). Connect the grounnd green , off the 6-50 P you strip and cut off, wire to the green screw of the male plug (L-14-30 P). The silver screw does not connect to anything because your 6 - 50 P is just 2 hots and a green ground. All that is left is the 2 hots from the 6-50 P, these terminate to the brass colored screws of the male L -14-30. Make sure no stripped cable or copper is hanging out of the backside of the plug when you put it together. Read the directions to make sure your plug is put together properly and it is not loose in any fashion. Finally make sure the voltage rating of the equipment you are hooking up matches the voltage rating of the generator output Recept. O.K current you said is not the issue but voltage will be if you don't make sure.

Matt W., Mr.
Experience: Fully licensed and insured electrical contractor