Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

In a 200 AMP box; what gauge Aluminum wire and what gauge Copper

In a 200 AMP box; what gauge Aluminum wire and what gauge Copper wire is needed....the wire that feeds the panel????? I need info on the Copper wire as I was told to use it as it carries more current but I need the gauge size????
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Is this a residential or a commercial installation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is for residential ....
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
4/0 Aluminum or 2/0 copper for 200 Amps.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Table 310.15(B)(7) Conductor Types and Sizes for 120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and Feeders. Conductor Types RHH, RHW, RHW-2, THHN, THHW, THW, THW-2, THWN, THWN-2, XHHW, XHHW-2, SE, USE, USE-2

colspacer colspacer colspacer

Conductor (AWG or kcmil)

Service or Feeder Rating (Amperes)

Copper

Aluminum or Copper-Clad Aluminum

100

4

2

110

3

1

125

2

1/0

150

1

2/0

175

1/0

3/0

200

2/0

4/0

225

3/0

250

250

4/0

300

300

250

350

350

350

500

400

400

600

Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike G. or whoever is available for an electrical question .......

My existing electrical box is currently 100 AMPS, the wire that feeds the box is smaller than 2/0 but is copper. If I put in 200 Amps panel box and use the same amount of breakers and not change anything (I know it is not suppose to be legal) what if anything will happen...would there be a problem or danger? What are your thoughts on this?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
The total protection for the service is provided by the over current device. Even though the main breaker is after the service riser, it will not allow a higher amperage on the riser than the wire is sized for. Your assumption that by using the same number of circuits that the 100 Amp service has means that there will never be a load more than the 100 Amps is a gamble. If there was the breaker would not trip before the wire burned. Don't do it!
Mike G., Master Electrician
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
I thought of a way for you to keep the old riser and a new 200 Amp panel. Siemens makes a main lug panel that can be converted to a main breaker. Install a 2 pole 100Amp breaker in the first oposition and use that as a main fed by the existing riser. This will meet code and at a later date you can install a 200 Amp main when you change the riser.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

MIKE ....OK I AM FAMILIAR WITH ELECTRICAL AND HAVE DONE MY OWN ELECTRICAL BOX INSTALLATION AND GOTTEN COMPLIMENTS FROM INSPECTORS ....HOWEVER, I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH SOME OF THE TERMS.....I AM CONFUSED BY WHAT A 'RISER' IS????? THANKS FOR THE INFO

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Riser is the cable that runs up to the point of attachment.