Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

just bought an Uberhaus pro heater....ive got power but heater

just bought an Uberhaus pro heater....ive got power but heater will not turn on...needs a 30 amp breaker which i have a #6-30 plugetc etc.....model # XXXXX power supply240Vac,60hz, consump 5600W

Optional Information:
Make : uberhaus
Model : ph-936m

Already Tried:
different 30amp breakers...different heaters..quadruple checked connects...i have power...i used a test light
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Hello, is it plug in heater? Do you have volt meter with two probes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes it is a plug in heater and no i do not have a voltmeter

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
How did you determine without meter that you have power at outlet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

test light....in breaker panel...white wire...to red wire in breaker...then white wire to black wire in panel...i first susspected a bad breaker...then at outlet ....i did the same thing...put one end in the "round" hole(lack of better wording) where the white wire would bet...then touched on the other two flat outlets...i got light...so i assume that there is power coming thru...its a NEMA #6-30R female plug....has 2 horizontal flats and a semi round...male plug is a #6-30P on heater

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
At the receptacle how many and what color wires do you have? Also how many and what color wires are in the panel?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

In panel...red black white and bare...at outlet red white black bare...wire is 10 3 300Volt ...red in breaker...black in breaker...white to neutral in panel...bare to ground in panel....in outlet...red to right side...black to left side white to middle bare to box..accordind to another expert i read...it said somthing about isolating the white wire...i have done that with no results

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Do the screws on the outlet have letters like Y, X and G ? Is the panel main or sub panel?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

k....main panel to a sub panel...at that sub...1/2 goes to my hottub..1/2 goes to my garage...this 1/2 i am working on goes to my garage...breakers are on..and 120V is working in my garage..on outlet at plug the only lettering is GR which goes to the semi "round" so now i am suspecting the White should be grounded at the breaker panel as well

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
you do not have to use white wire, just cap it off. you will need to connect the bare to the screw that says GR. black and red to remaining 2 screws. that is the proper connection.
Are there any other 2 pole breakers in that sub panel?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes there are...but not in use

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
can you borrow volt meter with 2 probes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes i can...i belive that you are starting suspect that there is not enough coming thru...i am begining to suspect that as well

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
we need to check if there is 220v coming to the wires.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok...thank you for the help...i'll do that