AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

My polarity tester reads- HOT NEU REVERSE. One RED light and

My polarity tester reads- HOT NEU REVERSE. One RED light and ONE YELLOW light side by side. How do I correct this problem.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Those testers are good for determining a problem, but a multi tester is needed to find the exact cause.

AssuredElectrical :

Sounds like you have a loose neutral in the circuit. Need to check all the receptacles in the same room to see how many are affected.

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

You will most likely read 120 volts to ground which signifies that the neutral is loose or completely disconnected in the circuit at some point

AssuredElectrical :

If you do not have a multi tester. You can try this to find the problem outlet.

AssuredElectrical :

TESTING RECEPTACLES
One test for loose connections in outlets, is to get a lamp with a low wattage bulb
and plug in the outlet.
Take another lamp and move around the room or adjacent room and plug it in---
You then jiggle/shake the plug back and forth left to right and see if either lamp flickers
If it does, you have a loose connection.
The problem can be in the receptacle before the problem one or in the same one.

Customer:

Tried your suggestion,all wires are secure and nothing is loose. This problem only effect 3 outlets in the room.

AssuredElectrical :

Sometimes the one with the problem shows its self. Now, only way to find the problem is begin removing the outlets one by one and verify all connections. Need to use the screw terminals and not use the push in slots in the back of the outlets as the push in slots cause these issues over time. If that does not correct the problem, then have to start looking in light switch boxes too. All wiring can go from outlets to lights to switches. Depends on how it originally was laid out.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade