Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have four outlets in on a kitchen wall that went out when

I have four outlets in on a kitchen wall that went out when I turned on the microwave. I replaced some of the outlets but no power. I did wire one outlet wrong and it tripped the breaker so it must have power. I need to make sure I have all the outlets wire correctly. Three of them have four wires going to them and the end one has two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

So, there are four outlets not working, all on one circuit? Are there any GFI outlets involved?

JACUSTOMER-o4s8x7e8- :

No

Jason :

Are these countertop outlets?

Jason :

Do you have any test equipment you can use to check for power?

JACUSTOMER-o4s8x7e8- :

No

Jason :

If these are countertop outlets, they are required to be GFI protected. If you can let me know, I'll be able to tell you how to properly wire a GFI outlet to protect all four that are out.

Customer:

I will have to go buy one. It doesn't have it now so I just wan to know what wires go were

Jason :

OK, no problem. You will need to identify the first box in the chain of 4 outlets. In that box, you need to connect the incoming power wires to the LINE terminals, marked on the back of the outlet. The other set of wires connects to the LOAD terminals, again marked on the back of the outlet. Black wires go to gold or brass colored screws. White wires go to silver colored screws. The other 3 outlets can be standard type, connected the same way. But on those, there are no LINE or LOAD terminals.

Customer:

All of the outlets have the gold and silver. The last one(on the right) only has one set of wires. All the others have two sets of wires. The first one(on the left) works. Not sure if it worked all along or not. I have these three with white on silver and black on gold. Does the black and white wires from the same group go across from each other on the same socket? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Jason :

Black from one set of wires would be above the black from the other set of wires. Whites would be treated the same way on the silver screw side of the outlet.

Jason :

This is how we typically do it... black from one outer jacket across from white that comes from the same outer jacket.

Jason :

Blacks on gold screws, whites on silver screws.. so the blacks and whites connect on opposite sides of the outlets.

Customer:

Ok, they are all connected with the black on gold and white on silver and the black and white from each jacket is directly across from each other.

Customer:

Got it, There was another outlet on the other side of the wall that was fried. Thanks for all your help

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.