Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience
29848548

My floor lamps socket gets too hot (Im guessing) and the

My floor lamp's socket gets too hot (I'm guessing) and the switch won't turn when I use anything over 100 watts. I can't turn it off, I have to unscrew the bulb or unplug it. It is a 3 way switch and used to work just fine. My other floor lamp (identical) did the same thing and I replaced the socket and although it clicks through all 4 positions, the bulb only lights up in one position.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. If you aren't using a 3 way light bulb, it will only light in one position of the switch. The socket is designed for a 3 way. If you only want a 100watt bulb, I would suggest replacing the socket with one appropriate for the purpose.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a 3-way bulb in the 3-way socket that I just replaced and the bulb only lights up in one of the positions. Please also answer my question about a socket getting too hot and refusing to turn.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
There are several possibilities
  1. Your perception of it being hot may be normal for an incandecent lamp. They do get hot.
  2. If the 3 way lamp only lights at one level, it may be defective or the lamp holder tab may be depressed and not contacting the base of the bulb fully. A 3 way has 2 filaments The 3 levels of light are achieved by either one of them being energized or both together for the highest level.
  3. If the switch isn't working properly the connections may be loose and that would cause heat from the arcing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why does the switch work work before the bulb is on (click-click etc) and then doesn't (no click - doesn't turn) after the light has been on for a while?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
I would have to say that it is defective and should be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just did that with one of the lamps and thats the one that clicks through all of the 3-way positions but only lights up the 3-way bulb in one of the positions
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Because it's new doesn't mean that it can't be defective. Just replace it to resolve the issue.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience