AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

How do I wire limit switch and blower on my woodburner to single

How do I wire limit switch and blower on my woodburner to single pole switch so I can either run the blower manually, or automatically thru the limit switch?
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Connect the 2 wires from the switch to the 2 wires to the limit switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Mike,

There is a black wire and white wire running from blower to limit switch. On limit switch there is a black, white, and green wire running to switch on wall. How do I hook those 3 up to the switch so I can either run fan manually or auto? Do I need to 'pigtail' on the wall switch?

Let's take a step back. You would be better off to feed the blower and leave the limit switch out of your new wiring, if your intention is only to be able to have the blower manually controlled. From the feed to the unit connect the white to the other white wires and the black will wire to the black of the blower motor. the ground will connect to the other grounds.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I apologize if I'm confusing you. I want to be able to switch the blower to manual or auto via the switch on the wall. This was wired before, but was disconnected at the switch, so I'm trying to figure out how to re connect the switch back. It was wired before using 16-3 cord with a separate ground wire run to the single pole switch. The black wire coming from the panel is wired to the terminal on the switch that reads 'manual' on the cover plate. It has a pigtail on the end of the black wire. I appreciate your help Mike.
The connections on the switch should be 2 wires and it doesn't matter which one goes where on the switch. Is the second wire connected? If so, connect the loose one to the open terminal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The wires coming from the limit switch(black, white, green) to the wall switch are not connected and the neutral coming from the panel is not connected. The only wire connected to the wall switch is the hot coming from the panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.
1. Power is located at the limit switch? Is this correct?
2. You have a black and white that runs from the limit switch to the blower? Is this correct?
3. You have a black and white that runs from the limit switch to the single pole switch? Is this correct?
We wont worry with the grounds right now, because they will all connect together anyway.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tommy,

1. Power is located at single pole switch on wall

2. the blower is wired to the limit switch and limit switch has the following coming from it to the wall switch

3. I have a black wire, 2 white wires, and a green coming from the limit switch that I'm trying to figure how to connect to single pole on wall. this was wired correctly several years ago and worked fine. Using the single pole switch, I could operate blower either manually or auto. However, the connections in the single pole switch from the limit switch were taken apart and not recorded. The wall switch has the hot wire coming from the panel along with the neutral. The hot wire is connected to the pole on the wall switch for the hand operation of the blower, with the black wire connected so that a 'pigtail' can be attached to it. The pole on the wall switch for the auto operation doesn't have any wires attached.

With the wires you have in place, you will have to wire it up by the diagram. Connect power to switch and connect one white to the same power. That white runs to one side of the limit switch. The other side of the switch takes a black wire to the other side of the limit switch. The last white connects to the white in power feed and then connects to the blower at the limit switch. The blower black connects to the other side of the limit as shown.
Green needs to be connected from the power in to the blower by all greens.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I really appreciate the diagram Tommy. That is a big help! One last question just so I understand. There is no green wire coming from blower, however, there is a green wire coming from limit switch. Should that go to ground pin on wall switch? Thank you again!

Yes, connect a ground where you can. Blowers usually dont have a ground but are mounted to the metal somewhere, so getting a ground to the metal anywhere will actually ground everything.
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade