AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

How do I rewire a 115 Volt 100 LED Christmas Light string to

How do I rewire a 115 Volt 100 LED Christmas Light string to work on a 12 volt Low voltage landscape lighting installation? The Led lights individually change colors, blink and then recycle.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Hart
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

You want to rewire the light string to connect to 12 volts? If the light string is 115 volt plug in, you do not run it on 12 volts. Wont work. You need to purchase the 12 volt lights themselves.

AssuredElectrical :

Christmas 12 volt LED Strings

Customer:

But don't the individual LED's operate on 12 Volts? Isn't the string wired as 115Volts and then the voltage reduced to 12 volts prior to running to the lights?

AssuredElectrical :

Never seen a transformaer on a 115 volt light string. Does yours have a large transformer that plugs in the wall and then connect the lights to it?

AssuredElectrical :

They have a regular plug on the end just like the regular light strings

AssuredElectrical :

Does your plug in look the plug on this adapter?------

Full Size Image

Customer:

Not a large transformer like my 12 volt landscape lighting system has. The individual Led's will light up with the 12 volts from my battery charger. Which tells me they do opperate on 12 volts.

AssuredElectrical :

What is the total wattage of the string?

Customer:

Like your image, my light chain has a unit like that show in the picture.

AssuredElectrical :

Thats a plain 115 volts, no transformer.

AssuredElectrical :

The leds may light on 12 volts but probably 10 times darker

AssuredElectrical :

what is the total wattage of the string? What does the box say the wattage is? We will see if a low voltage landscape will power it

AssuredElectrical :

The wattage on 12 volt string will be much lower than the 115 volt. So putting the 115 volt on 12 may over power the 12 volt landscape transformer and burn it up.

Customer:

Assuming that each LED pulls the max wattage needed for the various colors. (I believe an LED uses 3.5 watts to produce a "red" color) 100 LED's X 3.5 = 350 watts.

AssuredElectrical :

That would take a huge transformer

Customer:

I have a 12 volt 200 amp transformer.

AssuredElectrical :

most landscapes are 150-200

AssuredElectrical :

200 watt

AssuredElectrical :

not amp

AssuredElectrical :

so, see theXXXXXover

Customer:

I may be confused by amps & watts.

AssuredElectrical :

350 watt transformer cost is around $150

AssuredElectrical :

maybe lower

AssuredElectrical :

but a 12 volt string is much cheaper to buy than the transformers

AssuredElectrical :

because the 12 volt strings have lower watt 12 volt led's

AssuredElectrical :

The 115 volt has 3.5 watt leds, 12 volt will have 1 watt leds

Customer:

Then why can i light one LED with my 12 Volt, 6 AMP battery charger?

AssuredElectrical :

If you want to connect them up to the landscape lights, it is only 2 wires

AssuredElectrical :

The back of the transformer has small screw connections in the back that you can wire them to

AssuredElectrical :

I think you may already have the plug removed from the string, so strip the 2 wires and you are ready to go

Customer:

I know, However, there must be a way to wire more than on light at a time? That is what I want to do.

AssuredElectrical :

More than 1 string?

Customer:

My string has four wires, one positive and three Negative. I"ve gone into the string just before the lights and tried what you suggest - they don't light.

AssuredElectrical :

Sounds like series connection

Customer:

Agree

AssuredElectrical :

so it isnt 1 pos and 3 neg

AssuredElectrical :

pos neg pos neg

AssuredElectrical :

actually it is 115 volts remember

AssuredElectrical :

they are wired for 115 volts

AssuredElectrical :

parallel type is better than the series wired strings

Customer:

OK can I rewire in parallel?

AssuredElectrical :

parallel lets a lamp burn out and the rest still work, series shuts down the string when a bulb burns out

AssuredElectrical :

Not hte string you have

AssuredElectrical :

its that way to each little led

Customer:

Not sure I understand. However, I'll "Accept." I'll buy a 12 volt string and won't waste any more time.

AssuredElectrical :

series goes in and out of each led, you would have the wire at each led and rewire each one

AssuredElectrical :

that is 100 cuts and splices

AssuredElectrical :

parallel is prewired that way all have the same in and out in parallel

AssuredElectrical :

if you get a parallel string and look at them side by side you can see what is happening, It is hard to explain

Customer:

That was what I thought. Then It's just a matter of supplying enough power to light them up. When they stop lighting and begin to dim my strings as long as its going to be.

AssuredElectrical :

That is true

AssuredElectrical :

And have to watch the wire, it can get hot with the 12 volts

AssuredElectrical :

look at how big the landscape light wiring is

AssuredElectrical :

and the string is less than half that size

AssuredElectrical :

it gets hot because of the wattage

Customer:

Thank's you have confirmed my thoughts. I agree withn the wire size. I'm going to buy a 12 volt string.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade