Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

when I turn on the switch for my ceiling fan the lights blink

Customer Question

when I turn on the switch for my ceiling fan the lights blink on/off rapidly and then the fan
starts on it own on a slow speed. The remote doesn't seem to control the operation ot this fan even though it works with the other fans in the house. Any ideas what to look at first?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Is this a Hampton Bay fan?

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

no it is a Hunter ceiling fan

Jason :

Thank you for the additional information. How old is the fan?

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

the fan is 5 years old but hasn't been used much in this room. we have two others like it in the house that run almost every day

Jason :

This sounds like a problem with the receiver. We see that often in other brands, but not so much in the Hunters. New receivers are available at any home improvement store, or, I can give you an Online source, if you want an exact replacement.

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

how much do they cost and how hard are they to install. Is there a way to verify it is the receiver?

Jason :

I can tell you how to bypass it, if you like. They cost around $30 or so, and include a new remote. Since both fan and light are acting up, that's a pretty strong indication of a failed receiver.

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

can I remove the receiver and get the light to work?

Jason :

Yes. The blue wire that goes down into the fan is for the light kit. It should be connected to an output wire on the receiver.

Jason :

You need to move it to the hot wire at the ceiling box.

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

i'll give it a try

Jason :

Please let me know what happens.

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

receiver removed but no blue wire

Jason :

How many wires that are spliced to the short receiver wires go down into the fan assembly?

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

9 pin square connector with brn, yel red on top black ,empty, wht in middle gray, pink, empty on bottom

Jason :

That is a wiring harness that comes out of the receiver?

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

this connenctor comes down out of fan motor to round receiver above light fixture then black and white wires go down to light

Jason :

That's enlightening. The Hunter brand receivers are much different than their Hampton Bay counterparts. How hard would it be for you to take a receiver from one of the other fans that is working normally?

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

not hard at all i'll let you know

Jason :

I reall didn't want to suggest that, but with a 9 pin connector involved, isolating the light kit wires could be more trouble than it's worth.

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

good receiver from our bedreoom makes this ceiling fan work normal

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

bad doesn't work in our bedroom either

Jason :

Sounds like it's definitely a receiver issue then. Would you agree with that assessment?

JACUSTOMER-llu073vu- :

something between the two connectors is not working. Menards doesn't carry this receiver. Any suggestions where to purchase from?

Jason :

Home Depot has some Hunter brand receivers, but I don't know if they have the exact one that you need. If you have room for one small wire nut for each wire in the harness, you can cut the plastic connectors off and splice the wires directly to each other. Otherwise, you can order a new receiver, just like the original, at www.eceilingfans.com .