Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

I have a 60" hampton bay st. regis, ancient bronze ceiling

I have a 60" hampton bay st. regis, ancient bronze ceiling fan, Model 138-498. Up until a month ago the remote worked fine (*original remote with fan) and could control upper and lower light independently, and fan speeds and reverse. Now nothing works. It appears the remote handheld is working as there is a red light when the button's are pushed. Where can I get a new remote unit and if you think i need it a new remote control?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. First, you should confirm that the setting of the 4 dip switches in the battery compartment matches the switches on the receiver. The receiver is located (typically) in the fan's canopy, which is the main wiring compartment, just below the ceiling.

If the switches are already matched up, then you most likely need a new receiver. You can get them at any home improvement store. But I prefer the Hunter brand products, which are available at Home Depot. If you want an exact replacement, which I would not recommend due to Hampton Bay's questionable quality, please let me know so I can give you another source.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Already cheched that the 4 dip switches were set the same. Even tried changing the code but it di not work. So I should be able to go to home depot and get a replacement remote and you suggest huinter and not hampton bay!
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Yes, definitely. I have installed all brands, and Hunter is head and shoulders above the rest. I'm sure all of the other electricians here would agree, if I were to ask them to view our conversation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!