Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience
29848548

Hello, I am baffled. I have a GE EZ Light Artificial Christmas

I am baffled. I have a GE EZ Light Artificial Christmas Tree (had it maybe 4 years). Came delivered with all of the branches wraped with clear mini lights (the tiny ones). This year, after unpacking the tree I have a problem with with one of the strands. However, its not that simple: Upon plugging in the strand some of the strands that come off of the main strand work, and some of the strands do not.

If you can picture these lights as having several strands that all come from one plug ... sort of like the hub of a wheel. Some of the spokes that come off the hub work and some don't. It has two tiny fuses in the plug and I've replaced them both ... same result.

What perplexes me is I can find no cuts/tares in any of the three strands/spokes. All wires seem unharmed. I don't get it.

One other bit of info (if helpful): There are only two wires that extend from the back of the plug. But from one of ths spokes (maybe a couple of them?) there are 3 wires that come from a couple of the bulbs. Those wires appear to run back to the "hub" and back out to other spokes.

I realize the general answer is probably just buy anohter strand but these lights are sort of "custom made" for our tree. One plug ... connected to 4 or 5 spokes that can be wrapped around many branches.

Grateful for any help anyone can give me on this.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. When one of the lights burn out the circuit is broken and that section won't light. Replacement of the lamps is the only way to correctr the problem. Even if you found the one that is cauing the proble, another will probably fail shorly after and you'll be back where you started. Replace all the lights on the affected string and it will last a couyple of years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

So on the strands that do work, there are a few bulbs burnt out on those strands. Do you know why those strands would still be working?

Jeff

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
The circuit splits and the ones that are out are on a split circuit. One of the dead lamps is whatr is causing the problem. Replace them all and the section will work longer.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience