Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

Im replacing a light socket in a ceiling fan. The old socket

Customer Question

I'm replacing a light socket in a ceiling fan. The old socket had 3 wires but 1 wasn't connected to anything. The other 2 were 1 black and 1 white. I've removed the old socket and put in the new socket. Now, the wiring question. There are 2 wires coming down thru the fan to the socket - 1 white and 1 black. The new socket has 1 white and 1 black. There is also a pull cord for the light that has 2 black wires. Which wire goes to which is my question.

Thanks.

John Snyder
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
hello,

Splice the white coming through the fan with white on socket, splice black coming throughout the fan to any of the black from pull chain. splice remaining black from pull chain to the black from socket.
That should do it.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I spliced as suggested. Threw the switch and pulled the light cord. Instant arc/pop - turned it off. Interestingly, the fan works fine but the light is now dead again. Any further thoughts besides turn off power - which I did.

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
hmm. it looks like there is a short in the light kit. do you have volt meter with continuity reading ability?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have a continuity tester but not a volt meter. Will that tell us anything if I can get it to work. And, if I do use it, do I use with power on or power off?

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
does that tester make sound she n you touch 2 probes to each other?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No sound. One side has a probe only and the other has a probe and a light scale showing AC/DC volts and intervals of 120/150, 240/300 and 440/500. I assume that side ligts up to show how much voltate is flowing through. But, I don't know where to put the 2 probes. Will this work for us?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just tried the tester on my backup ups by sticking one probe in one side of an outlet and the guage side on the other. It lit up the 240/300 light.

As to the light socket on ceiling fan, I turned wall power off and removed bulb - which I believe is blown now. When I turn power back on, there is no arcing but I am assuming one of the wires is now dead as well. Not sure how to proceed.

Wall power is turned off again.

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
so right now you removed the bulb, when you turn the wall switch it does not arc anymore, correct? can you put one probe to the middle metal leap on the bottom of the socket and another probe to the thread part of socket. let me know if the tester lights up with switch on.I'm sorry but I have to go offline for 1 or 2 hrs, I will check back when I'm online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I tried your idea on a lamp first - that is working. And the tester lit up. I then turned the power on the ceiling fan light and no go - no juice flowing thru the socket now. Turned power at wall switch back off. What next?
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
now just remove the light socket kit and test between black and white wires coming through the fan. if it lights up then as i said earlier, there is a problem with light socket by it self.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got it. I'll let you know later tonight or tomorrow. Should I leave this connection up or close the browser?
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
You can close the browser just make sure to remember your user name and pass for the site
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Got it!! I must have crossed the wires yesterday. I disconnected all wires and pushed the new wires aside - I left the socket in place. The original black and white wires were exposed without removing socket. So, I carefully tested the black and white wires with the continuity tester and it lt up fine. I also checked the light bulb in a lamp and it still worked. So, the arc/pop I got yesterday had to be crossed wires. So, I shut off power, carefully re-splice the wires following your instructions and, voila, it worked. I appreciatet your help and will use you again - for sure.

Thank you.

John Snyder

Streamwood, IL

XXX-XXX-XXXX cell

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. Have a great day