AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

2-way dimmer switch diagram

Customer Question

Could you forward me a "simple" wiring diagram for the 2-way Leviton Designer Series dimmer switches? I want to connect 6, 50-watt halogen spots which I've recently installed in a new soffit in the master bedroom.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 3 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Tommy and would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Model number is needed to get instructions. Olease get the number and type?

Customer :

Tommy.... I don't have the switches yet..... I do know they have a "slide" lever..... up or down.... made by Leviton

AssuredElectrical :

several models fit that description. So it makes it difficult without the number

Customer :

they are the "desiger series"..... 110 or 115 if that helps?

Customer :

"designer".... sorry!

AssuredElectrical :

let me check for a 110 or 115

AssuredElectrical :

this for a 2 location situation?

Customer :

thanks! If you send me a "couple" of different diagrams.... I'm sure I can figure it out. I need to connect the first switch that I'm going to install by the entry to the master bedroom.... then run the wire up to the soffit.... and run that line to the new dimmer which I will install beside the bed..... from that point...I can connect some of the lights by going left or right from that point Yes.... to your question..... 2 dimmers connected to 6 different can lights.

AssuredElectrical :

ok, but there are literally 200 or more dimmers, impossible to find the one you are wantting

Customer :

both of the dimmers will be connected to all 6 of the can lights..... each dimmer will be the same and operate all 6 lights.....

Customer :

I know its' merely a simple 2-way switch connection.... that's the diagram I'm requesting from you!

AssuredElectrical :

no such thing as 2 way. It is 3 way

Customer :

well then.... a 3-way!

AssuredElectrical :

and each dimmer series is different. Designer series means nothing at Leviton

AssuredElectrical :

all about model numbers

AssuredElectrical :

i can get a schematic, but no guarante it will be right

Customer :

well... can you send me a simple diagram that will help me wire 2 different dimmer switches.... when one is OFF.... the other can be on, etc?

AssuredElectrical :

standby a moment

Customer :

thankyou

AssuredElectrical :

more to follow

AssuredElectrical :

Here is the entire list of controls they have, so you can see why it is difficult-------http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=17132&subsection=23948&minisite=10026

AssuredElectrical :

You need 2 wire power cable to 1st switch, then a 3 wire cable to the 2nd switch from the first switch and then a 2 wire cable from the 2nd switch to the lights

AssuredElectrical :

15 amp circuit use 14/2 w ith ground and 14/3 with ground

Customer :

Hey Tommy! I believe I was using the wrong term.... they are "Decora"..... sorry about that!

AssuredElectrical :

that may be he sure slide--first link

Customer :

I do believe you're correct! Thanks for your help! Jim

AssuredElectrical :

You are very welcome. Been a pleasure. If your are satisfied with my
assistance to your questions , please do click the Accept for my time.
You can come back to this page anytime.