Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

Hi, i have a doerr emerson electric motor on my compressor.

Customer Question

i have a doerr emerson electric motor on my compressor. i need to replace the capacitors but lost the paper i had with the wiring info written on it.i have a yellow and red wire on the left and a yellow and two reds on the right(one of the reds being a jumper wire to the left capacitor.) can anyone help me with the wiring of the capacitors.the info on the motor is as follows model t63bxbss 1083
volts 240 hz60
rpm 3540amps15 6hp
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. I couldn't find any info on that motor. Emerson is now a Chinese company. Below is a link for wiring caps in a motor circuit. Check page #2 left column for your motor

26-27.pdf (application/pdf Object)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
none of the numbers match any on my motor. my motor says rotation is ccw
the wires are numbered as follow. left side yellow is t8 left red is jumper wire from right side.right side has a red jumper to the left side the other red is t7 and the yellow is t9.my run capacitor has two four pronge terminals and the starter capacitor has two two pronge terminals. besides not knowing how to wire them don't know which goes on the left or right. i hope this helps you .
pat
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Your connections in either the Black or the whites are not making good contact. If wires have been twisted in a connection, taken apart and then reconnected they need to be twisted with a pair of lineman pliers first and not just with the wire nut. Check yor connections in the ceiling opening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sent you back a reply yesterday let me know if u received it
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
The last message from me was intended for another question - Please disregard it.
I do have your last post. I'm going to pass this question to another expert. Please stand by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
I see that the question wasn't picked up by any of the other experts. The question as to which wire is left and right, I suggest that you connect it and start the motor. If it hums and doesn't start properly, reverse the wires. If you look at the link reference I gave you, you'll see that the start and run cap goes through the centrifical switch which has the start cap made and then when it reaches spped changes to the run cap.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i will try that tomorrow and let you know
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Very good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try what you said over the weekend have been working alot of ot at work.
thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
OK, let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike i went to hook up the compressor and the electrician i had here before left the breaker disconnected. i have a 20 amp double breaker the line in from the plug has three wires black white and copper ground.
i know the ground goes to the with the rest if the ground wires how do i hook up the white and black?
pat
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Both the black and white wires are used for hots. Connect each to the 2 pole breaker.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike,
tried to get the compressor going but something has to be going on with the wiring of the capacitors or the positioning of the capacitors it's tries to run but strains. can't get the combination right.
pat
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
A hum or what you describe as a strain is that the start and run are reversed. Swap the leads going to the centrifugal switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't know maybe with the switching of the wires i burned out one of the capasitors because it just barely drags or runs am going to have to get new capasitors again i guess and start over.
pat
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
That is possible, Check the operastion of the switch. See if it is free moving.