AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

THe overhead lights in my kitchen are not working but the fridge

Customer Question

THe overhead lights in my kitchen are not working but the fridge and microwave are fine. I checked the circuit box outside and nothing was tripped. I flipped the switch to make sure but still not working. The gcfi lights aren't on in the kitchen either. Do i need to call someone or is there something I can try first?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Tommy and would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you plug something into the outlets in the kitchen and see if they work? If there are not working, then look at the GFCI and push the RESET button.

Customer :

outlets are working it's the overhead lights not working. It's not just one but all of them in the kitchen

AssuredElectrical :

How many lights? How many switches control the lights?

Customer :

lights above the sink, can lighting in middle of kitchen and another overhead light with a ceiling fan. There are three switches that control the lights

AssuredElectrical :

Do the lights work in the adjacent rooms?

Customer :

yes, they do work. but also with one switch panel i just noticed patio light not working either.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you check the outlets in the adjacent rooms?

Customer :

yes will do

AssuredElectrical :

thanks

Customer :

they are working. in family room have lights on and tv on. checked a few unused outlets and fine. and bathroom light working too

AssuredElectrical :

Thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have a voltage tester?

Customer :

???? i have the big panel box outside with all the circuit switches, that's all

AssuredElectrical :

A voltage tester is an instrument used for testing voltage on wires and cables.

Customer :

no i don't have anything like that

AssuredElectrical :

Do you know which circuit breaker controls that area?

AssuredElectrical :

Is it labeled?

Customer :

yes they are labeled. i flipped it and waited a few minutes and flipped back but lights didn't come on

AssuredElectrical :

Did the label say kitchen lights? Can you verify that that is the correct breaker by turning it off and make sure it doesnt turn something else off?

AssuredElectrical :

Labeling by others is sometimes incorrect. Dont know if you labeled them or not.

Customer :

nothing else turned off. i had the house built 6 yrs ago and they did all the labeling of everything

AssuredElectrical :

Let me be sure I understand. When you checked the breakers, you turned the kitchen breaker off and then went inside to check and then back outside to turn it on?

Customer :

no it was dark and i was outside and no lights went on.

Customer :

should i try again?

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, I am asking to turn the breaker OFF. Then come inside and see if anything else is off. We want to verify that the one labeled kitchen IS the kitchen.

Customer :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

thanks

Customer :

nothing else is off after i turned off

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks. Turn it back on. Push quick and hard and be sure it doesnt feel loose afterwards

Customer :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

thank you

Customer :

this is what i did like three other times and still nothing. frustrating

AssuredElectrical :

Well sometimes it is not an easy fix......Since the problem is affecting multiple switches and lights, a voltage tester is needed to do any more tests on the circuit. Either someone could assist you or you will need an electrician. The problem appears to be a bad breaker or loose connection in a light switch box or ceiling light box.

AssuredElectrical :

Switches have to be removed and wires tested and possibly light fixtures removed to get to the wires for testing

Customer :

i thought i would have to call someone but just wanted to check. thanks

AssuredElectrical :

All we can do is give it our best.--------------------You are very welcome. Been a pleasure. If your are satisfied with my answers , please do click the Accept for my time.You can come back to this page anytime.