AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Kidde Smoke Detectors - 2 PI2010, 2 KN-Cosm-IB, 4 PE120

Kidde Smoke Detectors - I have 8 Kidde Smoke Detectors, 2 PI2010, 2 KN-COSM-IB and 4 PE120 units tied together. One is going off triggering the others, as a Smoke alarm (One is audiable) but I can't see which one is going off. None are blinking. What next?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 5 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Alarm Condition: When the alarm senses products of combustion and
goes into alarm, the red LED will flash rapidly (one
flash per second). The rapid flashing LED and pulsating
alarm will continue until the air is cleared.

AssuredElectrical :

All have a rapid LED flashing?

AssuredElectrical :

Push the test button on each one.

AssuredElectrical :

Make sure there is no Smoke or CO!

AssuredElectrical :

Clogged compartments in the smoke detector sensor can also cause the alarm to go off without any actual reason. The unit may get blocked due to a number of reasons like dust, insects, cobwebs, etc. This can be one of the factors why the detector is beeping falsely. You can unblock the sensor with the use of a vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air (normally used for cleaning keyboards). With a steady jet of air, you can dislodge the dust, dead or alive insects and spiderwebs, accumulated in the unit.

Customer:

How can I tell which one initiated the Alarm? I am tired of hearing it at 2:00 AM and want to replce it. I already replaced the 8 units 3 months ago for around $200.

AssuredElectrical :

Did you verify the flashing red lights on them?

AssuredElectrical :

Push the reset one at a time to see if you can locate the one in question?

Customer:

The lights flashed on the Two Audiable Units - I saw them, but the alarm is only 2 cycles then stops each time.

AssuredElectrical :

That is definitely going to take a few shots to catch. Pretty quick and not allowing much time.

Customer:

I have disconnected the one Audiable by my room and hope that will show if it is that one. I took it down, disconnected the wire and removed the battery.

AssuredElectrical :

Are they positioned well enough for safety, that you could disconnect 2-3 and see what happens? And still be safe?

AssuredElectrical :

Disconnecting the one will help

Customer:

Yeah - I have 5 on the second floor and three on the first. So far the Alarms haven't gone off since 12:00 This afternoon. They went off at 8:00 Am and 12:00 Noon today.

AssuredElectrical :

Still will take a bit but at least you can narrow the list down. Thats a lot of detectors to go through.

Customer:

I am going to try the One tonight - It is a terrible thing to wake to though. If that doesn't work I will try others. Thanks

AssuredElectrical :

I understand, it can be frighting. Only way to narrow down since it is a short duration.

AssuredElectrical :

one or two at a time. Hopefully you hit it quick. Good luck

Customer:

Get back with you tomorrow. If it is that one I will replace it in the morning and sign-off.

AssuredElectrical :

ok

Customer:

No Alarm last night - Guess I got it - thanks for the support