AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Dayton Motor Wiring

I feel stupid asking this since I went to school for this stuff, but I think I've stared at it for so long I've made it complicated. I've got a Dayton 6K342 motor that I need to wire to run clockwise and counterclockwise. Its a single phase 230v circuit. I've got a Dayton Drum Reversing Switch 2X440 and DPDT center off switch. Here are some links to pictures of the wiring diagram....if they are unreadable let me know and I'll try to help clarify:
http://www.zshare.net/image/9521745988030653/
http://www.zshare.net/image/95217485fbe2ec90/
http://www.zshare.net/image/95217566ddc66000/

Also here is a link to an image of an info plate from a similar motor that uses the same wiring if its a little clearer:
http://www.svliquidate.com/graphics/imagesupload/Dayton40032-3.jpg

A nice tip will be included also
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. See page #50 in the link below.

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/ElectricMotors.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lots of good info in what you sent me, but I've got a bad migraine today, so lets make this stupid proof for me. On my motor I've got T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, and T8. I've got 115v lines that together make my 230v.

Here is my drum switch diagram: 2011-10-27_11-14-02_876.jpg

Here is my drum switch in forward position: 2011-10-27_11-15-55_588.jpg

Her is my drum switch in neutral/off position: 2011-10-27_11-15-04_601.jpg

Here is my drum switch in reverse postion: 2011-10-27_11-15-40_891.jpg

Drum Switch-What goes to what terminal?

Symbol key: O-terminal

Connect?---->O | O<----Connect?
|
Connect?---->O | O<----Connect?
|
Connect?---->O | O<----Connect?

Let me know if you need more info. Also if I need a different switch let me know.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
You'll need a 9 terminal drum switch as shown in the link I sent you. The links you sent are prevented from loading by my Norton program. They are listed as destructive. Wire the drum as the diagram shows and you'll have forward and reverse.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any help on who makes a 9 terminal drum? The 2 electrical supply companies in my town looked at me like I was pulling their leg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am 100% completely satisfied with the person and answer. Just need additional info and unfortunatly time is of the essence for me.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.
Ok, you have not posted your motor nameplate, please post that data for verification.
The wiring should be as follows assuming nameplate is a standard- do not wire until you confirm and post nameplate wiring instructions.

Ok, you can wire it this way. Understand many use this setup but it does not
disconnect all the power to the motor with the switch. You need a safety switch in line of the 240 volt to turn all power off for maintenance or any work on the machine.

At Motor:
Line 1 straight 120 volts to T1

Drum switch:
Terminal 1-----Line 2 120volt power
Terminal 2----- T4
Terminal 3----- T5
Terminal 4----- T8
Terminal 5----- T2 and T3
Terminal 6----- No connection
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
Check the nameplate for the following: Same? Or different?
High Voltage
CCW
L1- T1
L2-T4 and T5
Join- T2-T3-T8

CW
L1- T1
L2- T4 and T8
Join- T2-T3 and T5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to clarify I don't have to have a 9 terminal drum switch in order to have forward rotation, no rotation, and reverse rotation? I can't take a picture of the motor namplate to post, but I have T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T8 on the motor. Then I have my two wires from my distribution block for my two 115v lines. Not sure if you saw the pictures of my current drum switch and diagram for it, but here is a rough diagram in the foward position:
______
O| |O O-terminal
| |
O| |O | <----switch contactor
| |______|
O|______|O
|____<----switch/knob
I saw the pictures of the drum switch. That is what the wiring is based on that I posted.
I do not have to see a pic of the nameplate, but you can read what it says and post the information. Compare it what I posted already.
It will show the CW and CCW connections.
That is what I need to verify that the wiring I gave is what will work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry my diagram got all garbled. Right but will I be able to Join- T2-T3-T8 for ccw and join T2-T3 and T5 for cw with the 6 terminal drum switch that I have?

______
O| |O O-terminal
| |
O| |O | <----switch contactor
| |______|
O|_____ |O
|____<----switch/knob

For counterclockwise

T1 T2 T8 T3 T5 T4
| \ | / \ /
| \ | / \ /
| \ | / |
power tape |
power

And reverse T8 for T5 for clockwise
Thanks for info, but I do not know what you posted.
You have the motor T leads and whatever is under them?
Does the nameplate say this?:
CCW
L1- T1
L2-T4 and T5
Join- T2-T3-T8

CW
L1- T1
L2- T4 and T8
Join- T2-T3 and T5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Wire your drum switch as below: The one you have will work fine, they are used often

At Motor:
Line 1 straight 120 volts to T1

Drum switch:
Terminal 1-----Line 2 120volt power
Terminal 2----- T4
Terminal 3----- T5
Terminal 4----- T8
Terminal 5----- T2 and T3
Terminal 6----- No connection

You need a safety switch in line of the 240 volt to turn all power off for maintenance or any work on the machine.The drum switch will stop the motor in the off position but all power is not removed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. Also, as far as the terminals go. With the switch towards me and looking at the side of the switch with the cover taken off. Terminal 1, 2, 3 down the left side and 4, 5, 6 down the right? Or, 1, 2, 3 and 4, 5, 6 according to the actual switch diagram/schematics?
The wiring is based on your picture that was posted for the drum switch.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
awesome thanks
You are welcome. Post if needed further.