Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I NEED A COLOR CODE WIRING DIAGRAM

I NEED A COLOR CODE WIRING DIAGRAM TO INSTALL A5 WIRE CAPACITOR IN A 52 IN. MODEL 5745 CEILING FAN.THE FAN WAS BOUGHT FROM WALMART AND HAS NO BRAND NAME ON IT.THE ONLY OTHER INFO TAG HAS UPC#7-59590-21091-6 AND A 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX FOR SERVICE.THE ORIGINAL CAP.WAS REMOVED LEAVING NO TRACE OF WIRE POSITIONS.NEW CAP.HAS 5 WIRES 2 YELLOW ON ONE END AND RED 4UF,BLUE 5.5 UF,PURPLE 6UF ON THE OTHER END,AND IS MARKED CBB61.NEED CORRECT WIRING HOOK UP. THANX JOHN XXXXXX [email protected]

Craig :

Are there wires coming out of the speed pull chain switch? How about the Forward/Rev switch? Any wires hanging there unhooked?

Customer:

ALL WIRES ARE STILL HOOKED UP,NOTHING HANGING FROM SWITCHES.

Craig :

What is connected to the pull chain terminals?

Customer:

WIRES ARE PART OF SWITCH, NO. 1 YELLOW, NO. 2 PURPLE, NO. 3 BLACK, LETTER L ORNG.

Craig :

Where do these wires from the switch now connect? Fwd/rev switch?

Customer:

ORNG TO LFT. SIDE CENTER OF FWD-REV SW. BLK UP CENTER TUBE OF MOTOR,YELLOW TO WHT. WIRE ON 4UF CAP.,PURPLE TO OTHER WHITE ON 4UF CAP. FAN ONLY HAS ONE SPEED AT THIS TIME

Customer:

RED WIRE ON OTHER SIDE OF 4UF CAP. TO SMALL YELLOW WIRE CONECTING TO RT. CENT. OF REV. SW. TO SMALL BRN. WIRE TO RT. UPPER SIDE OF REV. SW.

Craig :

So the motor leads are all connected now?

Craig :

The capacitorss will go to the motor leads and the pull chain switch like this:

Craig :

This is pretty much how to do yours, it's a bit different but very similar. You may have to switch the cap leads to get the correct speeds of H, M & Low...

Customer:

OK,BUT I STILL NEED WHAT COLOR WIRE GOES TO WHAT COLOR WIRE,I HOPE YOU SEE WHERE I AM ON THIS,IT IS A BALL OF WIRE AT THE MOMENT.

Craig :

I need to know what wires are loose and not connected from the fan. The capacitors will need to connect as shown in the schematic.

Craig :

You have the cap wires to connect to the switch and to the fan motor windings

Craig :

I know it's tough but without being there I can't see what's what.

Craig :

Use the diagram and see if you can make progress.

Customer:

understand,but i have no idea what a motor wire is if it is not color coded in schematic you sent.ihave leave the house now so i will not be back on untill to sat.morn.

Craig :

The motor has three wires, one is the start winding and one the run winding, then a common. Like in the diagram. The fwd/rev switch is not shown here, it's there where it says 'Reverse'

Craig :

This is going to be difficult at best for you not being an electrician, but I'm willing to try. So lets do it!