AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Do you have a schematic drawing of how to wire a rotary switch

Do you have a schematic drawing of how to wire a rotary switch on the bottom of a multi-socket floor lamp? I failed to look at it before I disassembled the lamp, a stupid mistake. I have been rewiring lamps for several years, but have never had one with a rotary switch. The rotary switch has three wires, one black, one brown and one red. How do I connect them? Sara
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

So, how many lamps and how many wires or terminals on the switch?

Customer:

There are four sockets on floor lamp with a rotary switch on bottom. Switch on middle main socket turns on and off too.

AssuredElectrical :

But you are replacing only the one switch correct? Not the switch on the main socket.

Customer:

I am rewiring the whole lamp and have the wires already run. I just need to connect the rotary switch on bottom.

AssuredElectrical :

Does the rotary switch have wires or terminals?

Customer:

Yes. There are three wires coming from the rotary switch, one black, one brown and one red.

AssuredElectrical :

Lol, didnt have to ask colors. Thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, normally the black gets the lead from the power cord. Then Red and black attach to the sockets.

Customer:

I am confused.

AssuredElectrical :

Switch has 3 wires. Lamp has ?

AssuredElectrical :

2 wires from power cord and should be other wires going to the top of the lamp,correct?

Customer:

8 wires. 2 from each socket.

Customer:

Yes. In answer to your last question.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, 1 wire from each socket connects to one wire from power cord.

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

All tied together. Cord should have some type of marking, possibly a stripe

AssuredElectrical :

You have to know which is power and what is neutral or shell of the socket

Customer:

wait

Customer:

Your terminology is not familiar. I am not an electrician by trade. I just rewire simple lamps.

Customer:

I know there is one wire to each socket, that wire being split to one on each side of socket. There are

AssuredElectrical :

A light socket has a silver shell and a small contatc point in the center

AssuredElectrical :

With me?

Customer:

I know that a socket is silver with two connectors, one on each side.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok. See , power is only to go to the screw that connects to the center of the socket

Customer:

I used to consult with my husband, but he died.

AssuredElectrical :

The silver outside threaded part cannot be powered with 115 volts

AssuredElectrical :

Can you tell which screw on the socket connects to the center?

Customer:

There is a brass screw on one side and a silver on the other.

Customer:

I have the wires already connected to the sockets. The wires are all coming down through the body. Now I am at the bottom of lamp and need to connect the rotary switch.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes but we have to connect power only to the wires on the brass screws.

AssuredElectrical :

Not the silver ones

Customer:

Maybe I would be better off not connecting the rotary switch at all. Then there would be no problem.

AssuredElectrical :

So you have to separate them together, so you dont get confused as we hook it up

AssuredElectrical :

No, you still have to find the right ones to connect to power anyway.

Customer:

okay. I follow you.

AssuredElectrical :

Or else someone gets shocked by touching the shell

Customer:

I have never had to do what you say and I have rewired many many lamps.

AssuredElectrical :

Dangerous

Customer:

I know how to match up the multiple wires.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, the plug in has a large and a smaller blade?

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

The smallest blade is power

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

That side connects to your switch black wire. The larger blade side connects to one side of the socket

AssuredElectrical :

The silver screws

AssuredElectrical :

So, small blade wire to black switch wire and large blade wire to socket silver screw wires

Customer:

I am losing you. I just need to connect wires from rotary switch to wires from sockets.

Customer:

I watched my husband do it. It was simple, but I didn't see which wires of switch went to which wire of sockets.

AssuredElectrical :

But if you do it wrong it is dangerous. You have to know which wire in the cord is power

Customer:

That would be the wires on the silver terminals.

Customer:

Sorry, I told you wrong. The brass terminals are the hot ones.

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

Picture credit to redflagdeals

Customer:

Are you still there

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, see the picture?

Customer:

I have one in front of me

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, it just shows the power to brass screws

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

So, once you separate all the wires connecting to the silver screws, twist them together and connect to the wire on the large blade side of the power cord.

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, now you take the wire from the small blade side of the power cord and connect to the black wire of the rotary switch

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

Now, the brown wire and red wire on the rotary switch connect to whichevr sockets you want them to. I think you said 4 sockets? So, connect the red wire to 2 socket sand the brown wire to 2 sockets Those wires will go to the brass screws on the socket

AssuredElectrical :

You can do 3 and 1, doesnt matter, that is your preference

Customer:

"those" wires meaning which wires?

AssuredElectrical :

The ones you connect to the red and brown switch wires

Customer:

I think you just answered my question

Customer:

Thank you

AssuredElectrical :

Your very welcome. Been a pleasure. If your are satisfied with my answers , please do
click the Accept for my time.You can come back to this page anytime.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade