AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I am replacing an old balast - 2 F96 bulbs with a new Philips

Customer Question

I am replacing an old balast - 2 F96 bulbs with a new Philips Advance ballast. The old ballast has a red and blue wire on one end, and a black an white on the other. The new ballast has one red wire and 2 blue wires on one end and one red wire that is to go some how the the other end of the fixture and hood in. How do I hook the red wire in?

Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have a ballast model number of the one your wanting to install?

AssuredElectrical :

Is this a 120 volt application?

AssuredElectrical :

Please provide Model number of your ballast.

Customer:

The new ballast is a Philips Advance Model ICN2P60SC. Yes, this is a 120 volt application.

AssuredElectrical :

Thanks for model.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, should be 2 blues and one red on one end. A white and black on the other. The power is white and black. Take one blue and connect to one lamp on one end only. Take the other blue and connect to the 2nd lamp on one end only. Take the red wire and connect to both lamps on the opposite end of the blues.

Customer:

Understand the blue wire hook up. Viewing the other end of the fixture, The black and white power wires are there, but, I cannot see a way to hook the red wire to both lamps at the other end.

AssuredElectrical :

The old ballast probably had the black to one lamp and white to one lamp, is this correct? If so that was an old magnetic type. You now have an electronic type. Thats normal. You have to remove the ends from the fixture and rewire them properly or it will not work.

AssuredElectrical :

The black and white only go to the ballast, NO connection to the lamps.

Customer:

Correct. What does the rewire look like?

Customer:

Okay. The black and white power lines go directly to the ballast. Then I can connect the previous power end lamps with a wire and connect the red. Correct?

AssuredElectrical :

Correct

AssuredElectrical :

One blue and red on the other end. each lmap shares the red

AssuredElectrical :

lamp , sorry

AssuredElectrical :

Wiring

AssuredElectrical :

That was the old ballast

Customer:

To confirm - The 2 blue wires go the the previous red and blue end. The black and white power wires go the ballast. The previous power end has both lamps hooked together with the red tied in. Do I have it correct?

AssuredElectrical :

New Ballast

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, the link I posted shows it all also.

Customer:

Understood Tommy. Onward through the fog. Greetings from deep dark Montana. Loren

AssuredElectrical :

LOL

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your solution worked easily. Thank you. Loren

My pleasure