Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

Adding a 20amp circuit in garage with 12 ga stranded wire.

Customer Question

Adding a 20amp circuit in garage with 12 ga stranded wire. My main panel does not have a ground bar. house build 1986. Where should the ground wire (green in this case) be attached.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

Is the panel your wiring into a main panel? How many wires are you running and exactly what colors are they?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:52:17 PM
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It IS the main panel (NOT a subpanel), running 3 wires, black for hot, white for neutral, green for ground.
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Ok in that case you will need to connect both the white and green wires to the same neutral bus in the panel. The main panel does not separate them. They are only separate in subpanels.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:57:46 PM
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. One last question. In the man panel there are only white ground wires on the neutral bar for all of the other installed circuits. Don't see any 3rd (green) wires in the main panel. Is this because in the original wiring the electrician must have connected the green ground and white neutral somewhere before getting to the main panel? What was done is not so important, just curious as to why there are no other ground wires connected to the neutral bar.
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
In the main panel the bare aluminum wire coming in with the main service wires is the neutral/ground. They are one in the same. That is why you will see both bare copper grounds and whites in the same bus.
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:06:21 PM