Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

trying to install a ge sunsmart 15312 digital timer with black,

trying to install a ge sunsmart 15312 digital timer with black, blue, white, and green wires. the wiring in my house has black, white, and ground wires. i assume i connect the green to the ground wire and the white timer wire with the one in my house, but how to i connect the black and blue wires?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.

Craig :

The black for the timer is connected to the incoming hot black feeding the box. The blue wire is the hot coming out (controlled by timer) going to the light. The light gets the blue and a white neutral wire.

Customer:

okay, so the black for the timer is connected to the incoming black from the feeder box. this is where i'm still confused...where does the blue wire (hot coming out and going to the light) get attached if i only have a white wire and ground in the box? if I attached the blue wire (hot coming out) to the existing white wire in the box, where to i connect the neutral white wire from the timer?

Craig :

Ok it sounds like you have a switch loop. Was there a standard light switch connected to the black and white before the timer?

Craig :

Does the white wire have any black tape on it?

Craig :

On the end?

Craig :

You do not have a neutral in to connect here. You will need a different 'non neutral' timer for this location.

Craig :

Some timers do not require a neutral white wire for power, this one does and you will not be able to use it.

Customer:

hmm...just bought the house recently, so i don't know what was there prior, but the switch loop makes sense.

Customer:

i'm actually trying to replace an existing timer that got fried when our basement flooded from irene, so the current timer has it's blue wire connected to the white wire in the feeder box...so i think you're theory makes a lot of sense and that you're right...i'll have to find a timer that doesn't require a neutral wire

Craig :

Yes, this switch does not have a neutral, it's switch loop.

Craig :

They have the non neutral timers available too.

Customer:

yep, totally makes sense. thanks so so much! i guess it's back to home depot for me. Thanks again!

Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.