Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain

I am trying to install the GE 15312 SunSmart Digital Timer

I am trying to install the GE 15312 SunSmart Digital Timer to control my (4) outside lights on the porch and front of my garage. The timer works for either a single pole or a three-way switch configuration. There are two separate switches that control these lights. One at the front door and one in the garage. I am installing it near the front door. The wires in that switch are black, read, white (bundled), bare ground and a second black that is wired to the common connection on the current switch. The timer has red, black, white, blue, and green wires. Can I wire it for the single pole configuration and disable the switch in the garage? If so, what does "connect the hot/live wire from line to black wire and (same for load) to blue wire correspond to? Is that just red/black (not common) ?

Thank you in advance,

Leonard
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 2 years ago.

Rich :

Hello .. if you wish to remoove the garage switch , then some modification there is needed

Rich :

this quote .... "connect the hot/live wire from line to black wire and (same for load) to blue wire... meqans that you connect your black house power wire to the switch black wire ... that should be the black wire that was on the common of the old switch

Rich :

then the white on the switch to the bundle of whites in the box ... and green to the group of green wires

Expert:  Rich replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Rich replied 2 years ago.

Now we need to figure out where the wire to the lights is, in which switch box

I think in that inside switch box you have a black and white wire connected together

and in the switch box in the garage the white is on the common of the 3way switch

could you confirm these for me please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rich,
The inside switch (front door) has a black wire connected to a copper screw, a red wired connected to a copper screw, and a second black wire connected to "common". The white wires are capped inside the box. The garage switch switch is wired the same.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rich,

How can I tell which switch is on the load or line?
Expert:  Rich replied 2 years ago.

OK .. if the garage switch is black, red , black , then the power and lights wires are not in the same switch box

I will add a sketch

at the inside switch connect the blue switch wire to the house red wire

and at the garage switch , remove the switch and connect the black that is on the common to the red wire ...

you will need a blank switch cover for this box ..

the top sketch is what I think is existing from your description ,, and the bottom is with a single pole switch in the house and no switch in the garage

any thoughts , concerns ??

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rich,

For the switch in the garage, there are two black wires. One is common, I assume the other is the load what do I do with the other black wire?
Expert:  Rich replied 2 years ago.
Like I said above ;; use the black that is on the common screw and connect to the red .. ,, the other black can be capped off with a wire nut .. same for any un-used wires
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience: Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain