Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

i have a red, white and black wire coming out of the ceiling.

i have a red, white and black wire coming out of the ceiling. I am installing a ceiling fan with a light kit i connected the blue wire to the red and black to black and white to white and only the light comes on not the fan when i put the wall switch on
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You need to also pull the chain on the fan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike yes i have done that but it still does not work
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes when i put the wall switch on and check for power the red is hot. when i check the black and white the continuity lights only come on
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
How many wire total in the ceiling box and what are the colors? The same for the switch box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on the switch there is red on top and black on bottom looks like all neutrals are tied together out of the ceil there red, white black
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Please be specific on th enumber and colors. There has to be more in the switch box and "all the neutrals" is not a count. I'm not there and I need the info asked for to help.

Switch Box = example 2 black, 2 white 1 red
Ceiling Box =
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok mike give me a second to check switch box because there also a switch that works an outlet as well however ceiling box only has three wires 1 black, 1 white & 1 red

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4 black, 4 white 2 red
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
A little out of the ordinary but try turning on the other switch to see if the fan works. By the number and statement about the light switch, I think they tied the fan to the switch to the receptacle. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yea Mike no good doesn't work. Is it normal to have both the black and blue from the fan to the red
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
It can be if there is only one switched hot to the opening. With having a B,W and R it should be wired for separat control. The black wire in the switch box that runs with the R &W is where the issue is. See where that wire is and then if connected to a switch it will be as it should be. They make a dimmer & speed control device that fits in a single gang and that is what should be installed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i understand what u are saying one other question up in the ceiling the black and the red should be hot
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
They should be switched hots and if the red is connected the black is in the same switch box.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience