Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

i have a red, white and black wire coming out of the ceiling.

i have a red, white and black wire coming out of the ceiling. I am installing a ceiling fan with a light kit i connected the blue wire to the red and black to black and white to white and only the light comes on not the fan when i put the wall switch on
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You need to also pull the chain on the fan.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike yes i have done that but it still does not work
Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes when i put the wall switch on and check for power the red is hot. when i check the black and white the continuity lights only come on
How many wire total in the ceiling box and what are the colors? The same for the switch box.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on the switch there is red on top and black on bottom looks like all neutrals are tied together out of the ceil there red, white black
Please be specific on th enumber and colors. There has to be more in the switch box and "all the neutrals" is not a count. I'm not there and I need the info asked for to help.

Switch Box = example 2 black, 2 white 1 red
Ceiling Box =
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok mike give me a second to check switch box because there also a switch that works an outlet as well however ceiling box only has three wires 1 black, 1 white & 1 red

Standing by.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4 black, 4 white 2 red
A little out of the ordinary but try turning on the other switch to see if the fan works. By the number and statement about the light switch, I think they tied the fan to the switch to the receptacle. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yea Mike no good doesn't work. Is it normal to have both the black and blue from the fan to the red
It can be if there is only one switched hot to the opening. With having a B,W and R it should be wired for separat control. The black wire in the switch box that runs with the R &W is where the issue is. See where that wire is and then if connected to a switch it will be as it should be. They make a dimmer & speed control device that fits in a single gang and that is what should be installed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i understand what u are saying one other question up in the ceiling the black and the red should be hot
They should be switched hots and if the red is connected the black is in the same switch box.