Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

If I want to pull 110 volts from a 220 volt circuit can I connect

If I want to pull 110 volts from a 220 volt circuit can I connect the black 110 volt line to either the red or black 220 volt line with the white 110 volt line to common?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.

Rich :

Hello .. how many wires do you have altogether from the panel .. 3 or 4 ?

Rich :

black, red, white , green?

Rich :

are you going to bge using this only for 120 volts now?

Rich :

what are you connecting to the circuit?

Rich :

what is the size of the breaker ? is it a two pole breaker ?

Customer:

From the main panel there are 4 wires- green, white, red, and black. The 70 amp line services two breakers, one a 40 amp for the hot tub and the other a 30 amp for the sauna. All three breakers are two pole.

Customer:

I want to tap off of the 30 amp breaker with another circuit that will be 110 volt, 15 amp. It's for general light use.

Customer:

So, can I pick up either the black or red wires and then connect white to neutral?

Rich :

you could do this ,, using one of the hots and the white neutral ,, run to a breaker box, with a 15 amp breaker in it ,, then run out to your lighting circuit ,., for 15 amps you can use #14 wire

Rich :

will this be in conduit, or burried?

Customer:

From the main panel there are 4 wires- green, white, red, and black. The 70
amp line services two breakers, one a 40 amp for the hot tub and the
other a 30 amp for the sauna. All three breakers are two pole.4:27 PMI want to tap off of the 30 amp breaker with another circuit that will be 110 volt, 15 amp. It's for general light use.4:29 PMSo, can I pick up either the black or red wires and then connect white to neutral?

Rich :

you could do this ,, using one of the hots, red or black, and the white neutral ,, install a breaker box, with a 15 amp breaker in it ,, feed this small breaker box from one of your existing circuits, then from this new breaker box with the 15 amp breaker, run out to your lighting circuit ,., for 15 amps you can use #14 wire

Rich :

is there something you did not understand ,, ??

Rich :

the new circuit must be protected , the existing circuits are not sized to protect the new 110volt, 15 amp lighting circuit that you want to make

Rich, Master Electrician
Experience: Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.