Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

can I use my digital multimeter GE 2524 to check amperage drain

Customer Question

can I use my digital multimeter GE 2524 to check amperage drain on car battery by hooking it up between disconected pos cable and pos terminal on car battery
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. No, you need an ammeter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike, my multimeter has a "A" selection on the dial with settings at 10A, 200m, 20m,2000u and 200u. None of that is set up for measuring amps??? What is it for then??
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Miliamp - verey low voltage in electronic equipment.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mke,

The auto side of your Just Answers house says I can set my multimeter in the "A" settings to measure Amps between pos terminal and pos disconnected cable. Theauto parts store did not have an "amp meter"... So I am confused.... why would I use the "A" setting to measure voltage rather than using the voltage setting?? Are you familiar with the GE 2524 multimeter???

Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
This is an assist for Mike he's off line. Your multi meter can measure amps, but on a very low scale. Your max amp reading that you can read is 10 amps DC current. If you are trying to look at higher amps for the starter motor or something like that, you need a clamp on amp meter. The multi meter is for low scale amps in control circuits lower than 10 amps. If you want to measure a low amp draw from the car battery, you can. Take the positive lead off the + battery post and clip the + red lead to the battery. Then clip the black meter lead on the main lead going off to engine and accessories. Have your meter leads in the 'amps' outlet on the front of the meter and put the meter to 'DC 10 amps' .
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.