Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

The fuse in my house keeps blowing.

The fuse in my house keeps blowing. I have an old house from 1950, and when I moved in the house had a 15 amp type T. Do I need to put in a fuse that can handle more amps? This fuse is what controls my heating and air conditioner. I can't figure out why it keeps blowing. 
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Jason :

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer...

Customer:

Hey, thanks for helping

Jason :

No problem at all. Has this fuse been blowing for quite some time, or is it a new problem?

Customer:

It has been blowing for quite some time. I had it fixed a while back and it blew again after less than a day. I said screw it, but now it is too hot. It has blown 4 fuses today alone.

Customer:

Almost immediately it blows them

Customer:

the 20 amp type T's last about 10 minutes. the 15 amp blew immediately

Jason :

OK, for safety reasons, there is a proper way to handle this. It's what I would do if I were sent to your house to troubleshoot it.

Jason :

We can't just upsize fuses, because that's what causes fires. And I sure wouldn't want you to get hurt or lose your home. So, do you have an amp meter, or can you get one?

Customer:

Yeah, I was worried about sending too much through the lines

Customer:

I don't have one, but I can get one

Jason :

Great. Have you ever used one?

Customer:

Nope

Customer:

My gramps has one though

Jason :

That's okay. They are pretty easy to use. It should have a clamp that you can open and place around the wire, near the fuse that blows. We need to know how many amps are being carried by that wire before we can proceed much farther. Also, I need to know the size of the wire, so I can tell you how many amps it's rated for.

Customer:

Okay, how do I figure out the size of the wire. I was reading somewhere about 12 and 14 wire, but how do I find out what I have?

Jason :

You would have to follow it out of the panel, to where it still has the outer jacket on it. The size should be printed on the outer jacket.

Customer:

Okay. Well I won't be able to get down to the crawl space till tomorrow. Is there a set like 12 wire goes with 15 amp etc...?

Jason :

#12 wire is good for 20 amps. #14 is good for 15 amps. #10 is good for 30 amps.

Customer:

Perfect.... Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I can get this taken care of tomorrow then. Much obliged

Jason :

You are most welcome. I can't say for sure without being onsite myself, but it sounds to me like your equipment could have a problem that is causing it to draw high amps. However, loose connections can also cause this. So if possible, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the two wires for that circuit, from end to end, for loose connections.

Jason :

Is there anything else I can do for you at this time?

Customer:

And if the equipment is bad causing high amps, what is the solution?

Jason :

You would have to call an HVAC contractor, or post a question about it here, but in that Category, so the proper expert can assist you.

Customer:

Damn, okay man thanks.

Jason :

My pleasure. Anything else?

Customer:

No all good.

Jason :

Strange, it appears that you tried to accept, but it didn't go through.

Jason :

I've reported it to Administration. Thank you.