Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

How do you change battery on smoke detector that has prongs

Customer Question

How do you change battery on smoke detector that has prongs? I do not see a battery. It is a Ten-Tec smoke detector. The model no. is IL-930 Ionization Type. It keeps beeping and there is no smoke in the house.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please stand by while I pull up info on the unit..
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately there wasn't anything available online for that item. Is there anything that looks like and access door. It would have possibly the standard arrow chevrons as most battery access compartments have. Or possibley the outer cover turns off to get to the battery.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alot of wires inside the unit. No shut off on outer cover just a test button. I do not see a battery, just the prongs that attach to inside unit cover. When I hook prongs back in, the unit beeps loudly. This is obviously an older smoke detector. The house is 22 yrs. old. Help!!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
If the unit is that old it probably doesn't have a battery back up. Most manufactures suggest replacing the detectors at least every 10 years. It is more than likely reached the end of its useful life.