Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

I had to replace the Zing-Ear 3 speed switch for the fan speed

I had to replace the Zing-Ear 3 speed switch for the fan speed because the chain broke off from inside. It's not working now and I wonder if I got the wires back in the same order. It makes a hum noise but the fan does not turn. I took care to label the positions as follows but perhaps I made a mistake. Can anyone confirm the wire positions?
1 - gray
2 - brown
3 - purple
L - black
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Jason :

Hello.

Jason :

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer...

Jason :

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

no

Jason :

That's ok. We can get by without it.

Jason :

Can you disconnect the old switch?

Jason :

Is there a wall switch too?

Customer:

yes i have the old switch here, the new one is installed.

Jason :

Are you okay with touching two wires together, with one of them possibly being a hot wire?

Jason :

You wouldn't touch the bare end, of course.

Customer:

ok

Jason :

Great. Since you don't have a meter, here's the method I like to use...

Jason :

With power to the fan on (at the wall switch and/or breaker), and the 4 wires separated...

Jason :

Assuming the 4 ends have been stripped to expose the wire inside of the insulation...

Jason :

Touch any two wires together, be prepared for the fan to start.

Jason :

So don't get hit by the blades.

Jason :

If the fan starts, one of those two wires is a hot wire, and the other is a speed tap wire. If necessary, you can write the two colors down.

Jason :

Next, pick one of those two and touch it to one of the other two wires that you haven't done anything with yet.

Jason :

If the fan starts again, you have now identified a second speed tap wire, and you now know which wire is the hot.

Customer:

be a few minutes...are you finished typing for now?

Jason :

Yes, there's more, but I saw that you were typing, so I stopped.

Customer:

i'll wait

Jason :

Are my instructions understandable enough so far?

Customer:

yes, as long as i can look back

Jason :

Are you able to scroll your screen?

Jason :

You may be able to print out this entire chat. I've never tried that, so I'm not sure.

Jason :

The most important step is finding the hot wire. Once you find a wire that makes the fan start when touched to any two of the other 3, that's the hot wire. There should only be one constantly hot wire.

Jason :

After you identify the hot, you just need to touch it to each speed tap wire to identify which color wire is for high, medium, and low. Once that's done, you put the hot on "L", high speed on 1, medium on 2, low on 3.

Customer:

yes, can scroll. I was just getting the wires out of switch. Makes sense any more?

Jason :

Nothing else that I can think of at the moment. Will you be trying this now?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

I would like to stand by and wait, and have you let me know if you are successful, if that's ok with you.

Customer:

i believe the blk is the hot wire. It makes the motor hum when touched to each colored wire. however, it hums only, no turning. What do you think.

Jason :

That doesn't sound good. It sounds like you have a capacitor problem. Do you see a black cylindrical item, with wires coming out of it?

Customer:

must be the little boxy one labeled SH-CAP...3 wires

Jason :

Yes, most likely.

Jason :

I can link you to a site that specializes in fan parts and repair.

Jason :

They have a phone number, but I've never called them. They may be willing to help over the phone, but I know for sure they have people send fans to them for free troubleshooting.

Customer:

actually it had 2 wires

Jason :

There are 2 wire caps, and 3 wire caps.

Jason :

I think there's even caps with 4 wires.

Jason :

I can check for you.

Jason :

They have caps with up to 5 wires.

Customer:

is it as easy as replacing the switch? Can't tell if the wires will come out easily.

Jason :

Here's a link...

Jason :

Typically, the wires would not pull out of a capacitor. Your new one will have wires on it, I think... but let me check that to be sure. I don't usually troubleshoot the inner electrical components of a fan. If something is wrong internally, I just replace the entire fan.

Jason :

Yes, those caps have leads coming out of them.

Customer:

i fixed it.

Customer:

When lite fixture was hanging by the wire harness, one wire came loose in one end of the harness. It was the wire to the capacitor.

Jason :

You're done?

Jason :

Wow, I'm glad to hear that.

Customer:

yes i am! Just have to put it all back.

Jason :

I knew you could do it.

Customer:

girls rule!! You too. Thanks.

Jason :

You're a girl? That's even more impressive!

Customer:

I thought yu might get a kick out of it. Jill

Jason :

I always do, every time.

Jason :

So, are we done here? If so, have I been helpful?

Customer:

yes and yes. Have a great rest of week. Isn

Jason :

NOTE: Customers may select the "accept" key at this point. Also they may continue to ask related questions after accepting an answer. As contributing experts to this web site we only receive a share of the payment a customer makes after an "accept" has been selected.

Customer:

't it satisfying to fix things?

Jason :

Thank you for the opportunity to help. Yes, it is. I fixed the washing machine last night. But I would have rather been doing just about anything else.

Customer:

LOL

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.