Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

I am trying to hook up a double light switch to two separate

I am trying to hook up a double light switch to two separate lights but I cannot seem to get them to turn on. The power is coming up to an outlet and I am trying to tie the double light switch into this outlet. I have tried to connect all of the white wires together, tried to connect them individually to the double light switch (whichs blows the circuit breaker) and have even tried to place a white "jumper" wire from the outlet to the light switch, but nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Hello. How many and what color wires do you have in the switch box? also confirm if the switch has following screws, 2 black, 2 brass and one green?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a standard outlet and double switch (black, white and green). All ground wires are tied together and connected tot he outlet. The switch does have two black, two brass and one green screw. The black wires are connected from the switch are connected to the two wires for the lights (one to each screw). I have a "jumper" black wire from the outlet to the switch.

Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if I got it correct. you have 2 gang box. one receptacle and one combination of 2 switches? I asked about amount of the wires. since you did not tell me please confirm if you have the following amount of the wires. 3 sets of wires ( white, black, bare in each set ). 2 sets going to the lights and one set is the feed. is that correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is correct. I do not have a white wire going from the outlet to the switch, since it keeps blowing the circuit breaker when I do that.
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
This is what you need to do. splice 2 black pig tails ( short piece of wire ) together with black feed and cap off with wire nut. splice all whites to each other and add one white pig tail to the splice. connect the other end of white pig tail to the any silver screw of the receptacle. connect one of the black pig tails to any brass screw of the RECEPTACLE. connect another black pig tail to any black screw of the SWITCH. connect blacks from light one to each brass screw of the SWITCH. all bares together with 2 bare pig tails and connect bare pig tails to the green screws on the Receptacle and the switch. that should do it. Let me know how it goes.