Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

On a 400a meter, what size wire do I need on the line side

On a 400a meter, what size wire do I need on the line side from the overhead feed? On the load side, I have #2 CU to a 100a breaker box (next to the meter) and 4/0 - 4/0 - 4/0 AL to a 200a switch (next to the meter but will feed a 200a breaker box 60' to the house. The line to the house I assume will use 4/0 - 4/0 - 4/0 - 2/0 AL running in conduit. What size ground wire do I need on the 400a meter box?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. 400A feeder needs to be 600 MCM or paralell 4/0. The ground will be #1 Alum or #3 copper
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The single lugs provided by Toledo Edison accept up to only 500 MCM. And when I asked if 500 MCM is adequate, the rep stated that 500 MCM is overkill. Does 350 MCM AL meet code?

Does the ground need to be bare?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
You said a 400 Amp meter can, so I assumed that you had a calculated load of 400 Amps.350 MCM is good for 300 Amps residential. See Table 310.15 B7