Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599

I bought a swamp cooler thermostat to replace my 6 way switch,

I bought a swamp cooler thermostat to replace my 6 way switch, the thermostat has 6 wires and my switch has 4 wires. The switch wires are labeled L2,2,1,C,
the instruction manual says I should have L1,2,1,c. The two connections I'm missing are common/return and ground, do I need to run new wire for the two missing ones? What is the difference between L1 and L2? The instruction manual refers me to a table for the 4 wire vs 6 wire setup and says for the 2 missing wire "no connection" but the next paragraph say "ground wire MUST be connected to the ground wire of the cooler".
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Wire it as per instructions for a 4 wire set up and just omit the ground. ie don't connect either of them. Some older systems do not have grounds available.