Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience:  15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades
18324022

wiring a new hot water heater and new 30 amp breaker with 10-2

wiring a new hot water heater and new 30 amp breaker with 10-2 with ground.
wont get hot. called rheem tech line and they said to verify 220 volts on top 2 screws of thermostat. i have verified both 120 volt wires as they go in to top of tank and also checked each top screw for 120 volts but don't know how to check for 220 volts, don't
you need a ground- i only have 2 leads on my sears multi-meter. of course it is set to 600 volts any suggestions
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Kevin :

Hi, and welcome to JA

Kevin :

2 test for 220 volts, you just check between the two hot wires. 2 120 lines together makes 220 volts.

Kevin :

If you do not have 220 volts at the water heater.... put one of your tester leads on each of the two screws on that 30 amo breaker that you connected your wires to.... you should also have 220 volts there

Kevin :

If you do not have 220 volts at the breaker, then you probably have your breaker installed improperly in the panel. If this is a GE or Federal Pacific, it is possible to install a 2 pole breaker like the one you have, but get them on the same phase. Try shifting your breaker 1 click up or down. Not a whole breaker space, just moved it up or down 1 bus bar, meaning the little taps the breaker snaps onto.

Customer:

both both sides of breaker read 120 volts now

Kevin :

ok, put one tester lead on each of the two screws on the breakers

Kevin :

where you connected the black and white wire

Customer:

give me a minute

Customer:

sorry about the wait--i guess i dont know how to set up leads for checking both sides of breaker it reads 000 but if i check breaker sides individualy with a ground each side reads 120

Kevin :

ok, thats your your problem

Kevin :

is this a GE or federal pacific breaker box?

Customer:

cuttler-hammer

Kevin :

ok, find another 30 amp breaker in the box, and put your tester on the two screws on the breaker

Customer:

good idea

Customer:

other 220 breaker reads at 240

Kevin :

there ya go

Kevin :

ok, so the breaker that you put in for the water heater, does is look basically just like the one you just took a reading from?

Customer:

so just a pos

Customer:

identical

Kevin :

alright, shut your main breaker off at the top of the panel. Swap the two breakers and then take readings again on each of them

Kevin :

after turning the main back on

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks when i took out the water heater breaker and looked at knife bar in center

Customer:

only 1 lug but knockouts in box acceped it

Kevin :

ahhhhh gotcha

Kevin :

are there any other open spaces in the breaker box?

Customer:

thanks for the help it was an experience

Kevin :

do you have any other open spaces in the box?

Customer:

had to shift a 20 amp single to get it working

Kevin :

ah, cool.... so do you have 220 at the water heater now?

Customer:

both 220 breakers are reading fine now

Kevin :

great. Congratulations, we did it

Customer:

thanks ,what now

Kevin :

If this has helped solve your problem, please click accept so I can be compensated for my time.

Customer:

is the charge 15.00

Kevin :

Yes sir

Customer:

thanks

Kevin :

Thanks for using JA!!!

Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience: 15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades