Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I want to install eight 20 W Utilitech xenon puck lights to

I want to install eight 20 W Utilitech xenon puck lights to some built in shelves in my home office. To do so, I want to tie into my ceiling fan circuit which is a 2007 Harbor Breeze Austin model with 3 bulbs.
I will need to put a recepticle in the ceiling to plug in the puck lights. I have 2 Utilitech 6 light kits that I was going to utilize 4 lights each of. There is a tap dimmer for each. So each plug in unit will support 80 watts (4 lights x 20 watts each). The total wattage will then be 160 watts for the shelf lights.
Will my ceiling fan circuit be able to support the additional lighting? Will the lights dim if I turn on the ceiling fan. I believe the circuit is 15 amps and the house was built in 1999.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.

Craig :

You would be better off not going to the fan circuit. For one thing, it's switched by the fan control (remote) or the wall switch. You can tap off a receptacle near the shelves that you want to add the puck lights quite easily and feed the lights from there. That would be the better way to do this. The outlet circuit will easily handle the lights and it will be a hot circuit without any other control, just the tap to on/off.

Customer:

Well, my problem is that the built in shelves are already attached to a wall with a window in the center. The receptacle on that wall is below the window, and the cords supplied in the kit will not reach it. My only choice is the ceiling.

Craig :

Is there any way to get to the outlet to access it? This is the far better source.

Craig :

It will look better too. The ceiling route is not too good. Plus the fan will have to be on. Or no power.

Craig :

How about a near by outlet?

Craig :

Can you come along the wall from another outlet?

Craig :

With molding?

Customer:

I would have to run an extension cord, then plug in the Utilitech outlet kit from that - very big and bulky. I was hoping to hide it within a shelf above the window.

Craig :

yes, I agree

Craig :

I'm wondering if you can use molding to run along the wall though?

Craig :

From a near by outlet

Customer:

I can't access another outlet with opening the drywall, which I custom painted.

Craig :

They have molding 'extensions' that allow a piece of molding to connect to the outlet and run on the surfac

Customer:

do outlets normally feed from the above the ceiling into the wall or through the wall. What about a junction box in the ceiling?

Customer:

I'm sorry Craig, but molding isn't going to be an option.

Craig :

Look at this

Customer:

OK

Craig :

What do you think of that?

Customer:

trying to paste the link

Customer:

not aesthetically pleasing

Craig :

Did you see the link?

Craig :

Ok

Craig :

How do you feel that you can get a power circuit any other way from the fan?

Customer:

Another option is I guess to do away with the fan.

Craig :

What do you envision?

Craig :

Yes...

Craig :

Then how do y ou get a circuit down to the wall?

Craig :

One is going to have to run line somewhere...??

Craig :

It's just the way it is

Craig :

If you won't move the shelves...

Customer:

Alright. So if I do away with the fan and run a line from that, is that code - worthy? Also, could you explain what would happen if I the lights did run from the fan circuit?

Craig :

I think it may be a bit more work...I'd move the shelves to get at the outlet. Then nothing is going to show. It's the cleanest way to go...
You don't want any molding or anything so this is the only way to do it clean.

Craig :

The fan circuit has to be on

Craig :

for the power to be hot

Craig :

to your circuit

Craig :

It's not the way to go.

Craig :

in my opinion

Craig :

Why don't you give the shelves a second look?

Customer:

OK, last option for me:

Craig :

It may be easier than you think, knowing what you will be up against the other options

Craig :

ok

Customer:

If I ran the molding up to the ceiling, using , could I run that over to the desired location (within the ceiling)?

Craig :

Is there attic or basement access above or below?

Customer:

Attic. Room is on the 2nd floor

Craig :

Could you come out of the attic to get a molding down to sheleves?

Customer:

yes

Craig :

There you might have a way...

Craig :

You could tap into a power source in another box that has power

Craig :

Then feed from there

Customer:

No. but I like the former idea.

Craig :

ok

Craig :

Maybe were getting there...

Customer:

Bear with me for just one more minute. So I run an extension cord from another wall into the ceiling and cover it with molding. The extension cord comes out of the ceiling over the shelves to supply power to the lights. Is that OK to run an extension cord in the attic and does it need to be covered with something?

Craig :

I don't know that I would use an extension cord for this, it's not the correct method

Craig :

By you're on the right track

Craig :

I would use the correct parts that are made for adding this type of circuit

Craig :

Molding and wire

Craig :

The romex wire in the attic

Craig :

Like the use in new homes

Craig :

the white cable that has black and white and ground

Craig :

It's the right stuff to use

Customer:

OK, I have Romex 12/2. Do I wire a male receptor to that to plug into the wall, then a female receptor on the way out the ceiling?

Customer:

Or a junction box?

Craig :

Connecting to an outlet on the wall to pick up power?

Craig :

YOu use a junction box in the attic

Craig :

You will find a box that has power and then use a connector to tie in the 12/2

Craig :

then down to the molding

Craig :

and an outlet

Customer:

Got the part about the box in the ceiling but not clear how to connect the Romex to the wall outlet such that it comes out to the molding.

Craig :

The molding will go right up to the attic where you will bring the wire down to a box that you mount and install the outlet

Customer:

I'm so sorry, do you have a picture of the wall socket to Romex junction. I understand about the ceiling box.

Craig :

I'm looking now for the adapter I want

Craig :

To get you through the ceiling to the molding

Craig :

Here are the fittings that you need to bring it all together from Home Depot

Customer:

So, I remove the socket and this molding acts as a cover?

Customer:

Sorry if you got frustrated Craig, but I'll pay you for your time and thank you.

Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.