Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines

according to the nec, all 220v appliance require a 4 wire hook-up

Customer Question

according to the nec, all 220v appliance require a 4 wire hook-up Is this information correct? and what section of the nec can that be found.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.

Rich :

Hello ... 250.113 specifies the use of an equipment grounding conductor

Customer :

hi, so is three wire ok ?

Rich :

Is this new or existing ?/ are the walls open and the wiring accessable ?

Customer :

existing open walls.

Customer :

did you get my follow up question? about the powerwasher?

Rich :

If it is popssible top rewire the appliance to 4 wire feed then you shouild do that

Rich :

That is the existing code

Customer :

ok... 4 wire becuase it is near water?

Customer :

the boss and i got into a bit of an arugument about it today. i feel like 4 wire would be safer. 2 hot, one netural one ground. but i cant prove my theory.

Customer :

and one other question there needs to be a disconnect if more than 50 feet of panel?

Rich :

oopsy ,, that is 250.114

Customer :

can i look that up myself?

Rich :

The equipment grounding was always there ... it is the neutral that is now required to be separate ..

Customer :

ok... how about in a wet area. like a car wash?

Customer :

and when was the revision

Rich :

a car wash building would have many more requirements

Rich :

what is your situation ... ?? are you the owner or the contractor?

Rich :

the revision was when the community or state adopted the 2008 NEC

Rich :

are the cars driven thru the car wash ... or dragged thru by a belt ?

Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it's not a car wash. its a pressrewasher. 6hp. inside a building. we make industrial soap products. i turned the breaker to the off postion, to move the pressure washer. then i checked for voltage with a meter. and removed the wires. to move the equipemnt. that is when i noticed only 3 wires. instead of the four.
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Your pressure washer quite likely does not require a neutral so in this case 3 wire is correct; 2 hots and a ground.
Rich is correct with what he said by the way but a pressure washer is Equipment not an Appliance.

There needs to be a local means of diconnect (a plug and receptacle is sufficient) within 50 ft and in line of sight of the this Equipment.