electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

I have a 200amp, single phase square-d main panel. The meter

I have a 200amp, single phase square-d main panel. The meter is on the left side of the panel and the circuit breakers are on the right. The circuit breakers are old, so I want to put another 200amp square-d panel, single phase with 30 spaces in it, 240/v about 3ft. away from the main. I do not want to use the old circuits. I am gonna leave the old meter and box where it is. I want to install a UVR main breaker, so when the voltage drops or the power goes out, it kicks off the main breaker. I also want to install an automatic transfer switch. I have a portable generator. I know I can bypass the feature that automatically starts and stops the generator, I want the automatic transfer switch so I have the option to upgrade my generator later. can someone tell me how I can do this and is there some type of wiring diagram that has this setup so I can see how it's wired. Thanks Wayne
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 3 years ago.

electrifier :

Do you want to install a 200 amp transfer switch at this time? Do you know what kind of generator you want to add in the future? When a generator and transfer switch work together they have wiring that goes between them. There are different configurations with different packages. I have installed similar generators with different wiring.

electrifier :

Are your Square D breakers in bad shape? Is the panel in bad shape?

electrifier :

Is this equipment outside or is it inside equipment?

Customer:

Yes, I want to install a 200 amp automatic transfer switch transfer switch and yes my square d circuit breakers are in bad shape, that's why I am putting in a new panel and breakers. My old panel is still in good condition. My 200 amp square d panel is inside, everything else is outside. I want to know if there is a wiring diagram, that I can look at, so I can see how this whole system is wired? Or, if someone can tell me how it's wired.

electrifier :

Is the existing panel and meter inside?

electrifier :

Until you get your generator you won't know the wiring required to match the transfer switch with the generator. Since your existing generator is not an automatic start generator I would suggest installing a new meter socket and feeding a 200 amp square D panel inside and installing a generator lock out to make this panel a manual transfer switch. Square D has this part to adapt the 200 amp main breaker panels for this purpose.Leave room to add a transfer switch to run the whole house at a later date. This way you don't buy something that in 2 years won't configure with the generators available.

electrifier :

I can provide part numbers for Square D parts for you here to do this.

Customer:

Yes please Provide part numbers for me and I will pay xtra, thanks Wayne

Customer:

The exsiting panel and meter is outside, I only want to put the new panel inside, everything else outside the house.

electrifier :

If you are not going to use the meter/main you should take it out and install a meter socket in it's place. This will give you more space for a transfer switch in the future.

electrifier :

For a Square D Homeline 200 amp panel with a QOM2 2 pole 200 amp main breaker the part is HOMCGK2. If you use a QO panel the part is QOCGK2. A typical Homeline panel is the HOM3040M200TC which is a 30 space 40 circuit panel and is available in a value pack with breakers included. The number for this package is HOMVP9.

electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise