electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

my tanning bed will not stay on , i set the timer and in about

Customer Question

my tanning bed will not stay on , i set the timer and in about 15 to 20 seconds it cuts off it will come on it you reset the timer but only to shut off again ?????
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 3 years ago.

electrifier :

Is this an electronic timer? Does the timer go to 0 when it shuts off?

Customer : No
Customer : Its not a digital timer it's a dial that you turn
electrifier :

So it's a mechanical timer. So the timer continues to count the time but the bed turns off with the timer still providing power to the tanning bed. Is this correct now?

Customer :

yes the timer continues to count, you can turn the timer and it will come back on but not stay on very long

electrifier :

You have an issue in the controls for the tanner. What is it that allows it to come back on again? Do you turn off the timer and turn it back on?

electrifier :

Is the timer part of the bed or mounted remote to the bed?

electrifier :

Is the timer part of a controls package or does it turn the power on and off that feeds the bed?

Customer :

you dont have to turn it off just increse the time or turn back to off and back on gain

Customer :

it is mounted as part of the bed not a separate item

Customer :

it is part of the bed

electrifier :

What is the brand and model of the tanning bed?

Customer :

wolf sunquest pro 24 rs

electrifier :

This shows a digital readout for the timer that counts down the remaining time. It shows a start and stop button as well as the timer readout which is used to change the time. Is that what you have?

electrifier :

What is the voltage that is supplied to the tanning bed? Have you checked this with a digital volt meter?

electrifier :

How old is the bed?

Customer :

no its just a dial

Customer :

i have not checked the voltage

Customer :

its a 220 volt bed

electrifier :

I know what the bed is specified at, I need to know what your supply voltage is exactly. Can you get a digital volt meter and tell me what your voltage is in your home?

Customer :

im not there right now, but i can when i get there

electrifier :

When should I expect to hear from you on this? How old is this bed? Is this timer a modification to the original bed controls?

Customer :

i wont be back at on home until thursday night

Customer :

this bed is probably about 7 to 8 years old

Customer :

it is original eguipment

electrifier :

Ok, fine. I'll know when to expect to hear from you. I hope to have an answer from the manufacture by that time. I'll talk to you then. Just come back to this link and we'll continue then.

Customer :

ok thanks

electrifier :

Talk to you then. The question will highlight when you respond to me so I will know you are back.

Customer :

I checked the voltage is 125 volts on both legs

electrifier :

Can you get to the timer wiring?

Customer :

If I take it apart

Customer :

Do I need to check something on the timer

electrifier :

Check to see if there is power coming to the wiring and to the switch circuit of the timer.

Customer :

there are two black wires and one yellow wire and one white wire

Customer :

yellow wire 246 volts

Customer :

both black wires 247 volts

electrifier :

What are you measuring the voltage to? Can you identify the incoming power wires?

Customer :

these are the wires on the timer switch

electrifier :

One wire can't have 246 volts. To check voltage you must touch the leads to 2 wires or terminals. What are you touching along wiht the yellow wire to show 246 volts? What kind of timer does this tanning bed have and what are the terminal numbers these wires are connected to? Are you getting these results with the bed running or when it shuts off?