Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

How many duplex receptacles can you put on one circuit, in

How many duplex receptacles can you put on one circuit, in particular, a bedroom? Can you use 14 AWG or does it have to be 12? Is the overhead (ceiling light and switch have to be on a separate circuit? If so how do you group the ceiling lights, i.e., bedroom 1, 2, and three or maybe a hallway light? What is the standard practice (code)?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.

Rich :

Hello .. the size of the wire and the size of the breaker must be matched

Rich :

#12 wire on a 20 amp breaker .. #14 wire on a 15 amp breaker .. what size breaker do you have ??

Rich :

It is wise to put the receptacles and lights on separate citcuits .. the outlets on a 20 amp AFCI breaker and #12 wire

Rich :

lights can be on a 15 amp breaker and #14 wire .. or that circuit can be 20 amp also with #12 wire

Rich :

you can put more than 1 bedroom on a lighting circuit ..

Customer:

I'm flexable and I know the breaker to use to match the wire gage. That's good, but is there a limit on outlets, i.e., can you put 4 or 5 or 6 on a single breaker. What does the NEC say?

Rich :

by the code it is about 10 outlets limit on a 20 amp circuit ..

Customer:

Is it okay to use 14 gage wire? Am I within code? I'm only going to have lamps, a small TV (maybe) nothing heavy?

Rich :

Yes you can use 15 amp circuit .. just I usually put in a 20 .. and if new it needs to be arc fault protected ..

Customer:

What the difference between arc fault and GFCI?

Rich :

GFI around water or ground source ,.. bath, outside , garage , basement . kitchen .. AFCI for all other outlets ..

Customer:

It took a while to get an answer to my original question. Is that it or do you need to tell me anything else?

Rich :

Hmm .. I was on replying 5 minurtes after your question .. .. that is all unless you have any concerns or questions ..

Rich, Master Electrician
Experience: Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain