electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise

Can I use a CFL bulb (non-dimming) in a standard dimming socket

Can I use a CFL bulb (non-dimming) in a standard dimming socket? I don't care anymore if the bulb dims or not, but I don't want to blow a circuit breaker or burn down the house (just being overly dramatic).

FYI, there is not a dimming version that its available for my application, but there is a standard CFL bulb that would work.

Alan
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 3 years ago.

electrifier :

What do you mean by a "dimming socket"?

electrifier :

How big is the bulb, how many watts?

Customer:

42 w

Customer:

it is a can fixture that accepts a standard a base bulb

Customer:

Basically if you boil done the problem, this is it. I have a 150w incandescent bulb in a A base socket. The bulb is dimmed by a wall dimmer. I want to use a lower watt bulb but want the lumen output of my current 150w bulb (or better as its a darker area).

Customer:

I thought a CFL would be it, since we have to start using them anyway soon.

Customer:

You previously told me that there isn't a 150w equivalent dimmable CLF yet.

Customer:

You mentioned other options such as halogen.

Customer:

I mistyped, I have a 100w bulb incandescent in the fixture. It can't take more than 100w

Customer:

I want a higher lumen bulb, preferably dimmable, but okay if it isn't if I dont have to remove the wall dimmer switch.

Customer:

I can't put a 150w incandescent in the fixture (too many watts)

Customer:

So I was thinking a 42-45w CFL....will it work? Other options?

electrifier :

Daylight bulbs are brighter so using a dimmable CFL daylight bulb would be best suited to keep it dimmable. If you go with a non dimmable bulb I would suggest taking out the dimmer so nobody causes a problem trying to dim the non dimmable bulb. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the best solution to make sure you are safe. I can't tell you what will happen if you try to dim a non dimmable larger bulb. If it's not UL listed for the purpose I don't try to do it.

electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise