Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I have a em5000is honda inverter generator. When it starts

I have a em5000is honda inverter generator. When it starts up with nothing connected to it, the over load light comes on shortly after and engine shuts off. The display flashes a E-20 or E-29 code. Is this a bad inverter or some thing else.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.

Craig :

Did you check all the fuses? I am going to call Honda tomorrow for the fault codes. I cannot locate that information yet.

Craig :

Here is the manual and the wiring diagram

Craig :

Check all the circuit breakers and the four fuses

Craig :

The wiring diagram is on Pg 77

Customer:

Craig,

Customer:

Craig, forgot to mention if I unplug the inverter the motor will not shut off.

Craig :

There is something wrong internally that would cause it to go overload with nothing plugged in. Can you test things with meter if I work with you on some tests?

Craig :

Did you get the manual and the wiring diagram open?

Customer:

Yes I was able to get the manual, and yes I can do some testing.

Craig :

top right corner of diagram show 4 fuses, 3 - 3 amp; 1-15 amp. Check all four with ohm meter for continuity first thing. All good?

Craig :

Check all white plastic wire connectors going to Main control board and inverter unit. Un plug them and re seat to board modules.

Craig :

Do thorough visual inspection of all wiring and board modules for any signs of burned connections/components.

Customer:

I will try that, any luck with the fault codes.

Craig :

No not yet, I have a list somewhere but have not laid eyes on it. I know Honda will give us the codes if we call. The problem is, it's going to be something inside with these symptoms. OL and nothing plugged in is not to good. It's indicating a load when there is none.

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX try your recommendations tomorrow.

Craig :

Sounds good, let me know. I will try and call Honda tomorrow.

Craig :

I did get through to Honda about these faults. All the E-20 and the E-29 are indicting is the overload condition on the inverter. They said it means you may have been damaged during use. Probably switched from 240 to 120 during use. So it doesn't help us much, I already said as much.
It's going to be up to us to test the basics, then possibly replace the inverter module to get ti gong is what is most likely.

Customer:

Thanks for your Help Craig. I will check it all out and see what I can find and go from there.

Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.