Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am trying to install a universal remote (Harbor Breeze) to

I am trying to install a universal remote (Harbor Breeze) to my Hampton Bay ceiling fan. The wires connected between the power supply and ceiling fan are white-white, black-black, green-ground, and red-blue. The universal remote only says to connect thegreen-ground, white-white, black-black, and blue-blue, so this leaves me with an extra red wire. What should I do with the red wire?

Mike :

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer.com! Once you've joined the chat, please post a short message using the reply box below to let me know you're ready to begin.

Customer:

i'm ready

Mike :

Hi... First, I'd just like verify exactly what it is you have there. You have a red, black, white, and ground coming from the ceiling correct?

Customer:

yes

Mike :

And on your remote receiver, you have a white, and black on one side, and then a white, black, and blue (or red) on the other side? We're not counting grounds for now.

Customer:

yes, no red on the remote, just the white black and blue on the one side with white and black on the other

Mike :

Gotcha... I see how you could be confused. When you install the remote, the remote controls the switching of the fan and fan light so it only needs one power wire (or switch-leg). When you're using standard switches, you have a separate switch for each, one for the fan, and one for the fan light. In this case you can connect either the red OR the black to the black on the supply side of your receiver. You'll just need to make sure that if you use, say the red, that you install the remote wall switch in place of the switch that has the red wire connected.

Mike :

Then just put a wire-nut on whichever wire you don't use in the ceiling box, whether it be the red or the black.

Customer:

ok, so just connect the white-white, black-black, and blue-blue with a wire nut over the red?

Customer:

that's for between the remote and the ceiling fan. then i connect the white-white and black-black from the remote to the ceiling.

Mike :

I believe you have it correct. But all blacks do not go together. You connect the black on the supply side of the receiver to the black from the ceiling only. Then connect the black from the other side to the black from the fan.

Mike :

Yes, you made the distinction. Sounds like you understand.

Customer:

Ok, got it. I did that prior to submitting this question and the fan still doesn't work. I think I may have shorted the fan or something, so here is what I did prior. Thinking the red was just another power source for the blue wire to the fan, I connected the red with both of the blue wires. When I flipped the power back on, I heard a sound, similar to an electrical short. So I examined the fan and everything looked fine, but the fan wouldn't work. So I turned off the power again, removed the remote, and reconnected all of the wires to their original configuration between the ceiling and the fan. The fan still doesn't work. None of the circuit breakers are flipped, so did I kill my fan?

Customer:

forgot to say i turned the power back on and the fan still doesnt work

Mike :

Well, connecting the red and blue wouldn't have shorted the fan. As long as you didn't connected white to any of the red, blue, or black wires. But, you still could have shorted the fan if wire was touching a ground or neutral. If the fan worked before but doesn't now, the fan is bad. The only way to tell for sure though is to use a voltmeter to see if you actually have 120V from black to white. If you do, and the fan doesn't work when wired directly, the fan is bad. Whether you did it or not, there's not really any way of knowing.

Mike :

Anything else I can help with in this regard?

Customer:

no, i guess that's it. thanks

Mike :

Great... thank you. I'd appreciate an accept if you're happy with service today. Happy Easter to you!

Customer:

Happy Easter to you too.