Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

I just bought an electric recliner. The power supply cord from

Customer Question

I just bought an electric recliner. The power supply cord from the switch to the motor underneath the chair got caught in the closing mechinesim and caused a short, severing the wire. I think I could fix it but not certain what supplies to use to connect the two sections together once I cut them, strip them, then what?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.

The Electrical Doctor :

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical. You are corresponding with Joseph - "The Electrical Doctor", your personal online electrical consultant.

The Electrical Doctor :

You're question is very important to me, and I will do everything I can to answer your question as thoroughly as possible. Please remember at the conclusion of our time, that you press the "ACCEPT" button as this is the only way I get paid for my time, experience and expertiece.

The Electrical Doctor :

Remember that you can ask as many questions as needed in order for you to fully understand the information given. Dont forget to leave feedback, bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

The Electrical Doctor :

Please give me a moment to respond to your post:

The Electrical Doctor :

In reality your only option here is for you to replace the cord entirely. You should remove the old cord from the motor box underneath and put a new line in. This is the only way you can safely fix this.

Customer:

The cord in question runs from the switch on the side of the chair to the motor underneath the chair. It is not the cord that come from the motor that you plug into the wall.

The Electrical Doctor :

Than your best option here is to use butt splices. Cover them with heat shrink, but be sure to put the heat shrink on the wires before you crimp the wires together.

Customer:

I can purchase heat shrink at the hardware store, correct? Then what?

The Electrical Doctor :

You can actually get the heat shrink and the butt splices from your local home depot or lowes. You know how to use butt splices correct?

Customer:

Nope, don't know anything about butt splices. I have hung ceiling fans before but otherwise, not much else in the electrical dept.

The Electrical Doctor :

Basically butt splices work this way..... You strip the wires you want to connect, insert one wire into one side of the splice and crimp it down. Then insert the other wire into the other side and crimp that down. Then your wire is connected back together. Then put the heat shrink over that splice. Here is a link to the butt splices at Home Depot.

Customer:

That makes perfect sense! I knew there had to be something out there for this problem. The link, can I access it without loosing connection to this feed?

The Electrical Doctor :

Right click on the link and click on open in new tab. Then you can open the page without loosing this page.

Customer:

What info would I need to have with me when I go to Home Depot to know what kind of splices to get? Just tell the home depot guy what I am trying to repair and he should know?

The Electrical Doctor :

Hold on I will show you exactly what you need to get.

The Electrical Doctor :

This is the one you want to get for this repair:

Customer:

so those 3 blue splices go onto each of the 3 wires inside the "sealed wire" or I just use one of them to connect 3 wires to 3 wires? Sorry, dumber than I thougt I was!!!

The Electrical Doctor :

Use one per wire. If you put all three into one, you will have problems and can damage the unit. So just be sure to cut the wire back to expose the three individual wires. Then use the butt splices.

Customer:

Ok, I think I got it. Inside the black cord there are 3 very small coated wires: red, green, yellow. Strip off the colored coating on each very small wire, use a butt splice on each one of those wires to connect the ends together? Where does the heat shrink come in?

The Electrical Doctor :

You put the heat shrink over the cable that houses the three wires. Then once the butt splices are in place and connected, you slide the heat shrink over them and shrink it down. That will seal the connections up.

Customer:

I think I got it now. Is there a way I can save this conversation? To refer to it when I start working on this?

The Electrical Doctor :

Sure give me a moment to convert this over to a PDF file for you so you can save it to your computer.

The Electrical Doctor :

Ok here you go. When you open up the PDF simply save it to your computer or print it out.

Customer:

One more question: I would buy the 16-14 AWG butt splice heat shrinks also?

The Electrical Doctor :

Yes you would need to get the heat shrink as well. You should be able to find it in the same isle as the butt splices. If not the electrical guy in the store will be able to guide you right to it.

Customer:

Thanks so much for your help!

The Electrical Doctor :

No problem, if you need anything further please let me know.

Customer:

This is a really cool site! I will add it to my favorites to use when I have another project to do!

The Electrical Doctor :

Good deal. Good luck on the repair.

Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Monday, April 18, 2011 8:15:13 PM