Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

I have a 5 year old hunter ceiling fan that stopped working.

I have a 5 year old hunter ceiling fan that stopped working. Checked power at the wall switch and it is ok. Took cover off and not getting any power to the light. Assume the problem is somewhere in the motor head? Heard some type of arcing noice right before it quit so now think that the motor shorted out somehow?

Appreciate your comments.

rgds
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.

Craig :

Open the canopy, the cover up against the ceiling. The electrical box is there with the wires coming up from the wall switch. Give all the wires a tug on the wire nuts to make sure they are tight and twist the wire nut to tighten. Check pull chain switch and see if it feels solid. This would be the first steps do take here.

Customer:

OK, I have done that. Only getting 84 VAC between the hot and common going to the light. Guessing some kind of short in the motor windings?

Customer:

Still there??

Craig :

I want you to do two checks for me

Customer:

ok

Craig :

Check the voltage at the fan from black to ground

Craig :

then black to white neutral

Customer:

ok. hold on

Craig :

see what you get on the two tests?

Customer:

Getting about 80 vac

Craig :

Do both tests

Craig :

one is black to ground

Craig :

one is black to white neutral

Craig :

TWO tests

Craig :

TWO readings please

Craig :

black to white

Craig :

black to bare copper

Customer:

OK, getting about 79 to 80 vac on both

Craig :

Ok, this means the black hot wire is not getting good connection back towards the wall switch

Craig :

Check the connections at the wall switch and voltage coming into the switch and leaving...what voltage is there?

Craig :

See it there is 120 coming into the switch

Customer:

120 vac. Could it possibly be a motor short or something else in the fan head?

Craig :

Then what it is leaving on the red and black wires going to fan

Craig :

and it's 80 volts up at the fan ceiling box coming in?

Craig :

black and red are 80 in the ceiling box?

Craig :

120 at switch?

Customer:

I'm getting 7.8 to 8 vac at ONLY 1 switch setting. The rest are zero. I assume that is the highest speed setting.

Craig :

Ok you told me it was 120 leaving so it's at the switch that is the problem

Craig :

so it's 8 volts leaving the switch?

Craig :

you have 120 coming in though?

Customer:

No, only 80 coming in but I have not pulled the fan off the wall. The 80 is just at the black and white in the junction box bellow the fan motor. Sounds like maybe the wire nut on the black above the fan in the ceiling maybe loose?

Craig :

Wait a minute

Craig :

You said there is only 8 volts down at the switch?

Craig :

Right up a above you said "

<div class="JA_chatMsgAuthor"Customersays:

6:43 PM

"I'm getting 7.8 to 8 vac at ONLY 1 switch setting. The rest are zero. I assume that is the highest speed setting."

Customer:

Sorry, that's out of the switch going to the fan. The red and black wires coming out of the fan switch going to the fan motor.

Craig :

at the wall or up in the fan?

Craig :

Sorry I'm loosing track where the voltage is at what location

Craig :

In the ceiling box is there 120 volts coming into the ceiling box?

Craig :

Then it's lost to 8 volts inside the fan switch up inside the fan?

Customer:

Still there?

Customer:

Oops sorry, didn't scroll down far enough.

Customer:

Let me check the voltage coming to the fan at the ceiling. Give me a minute.

Craig :

yes

Customer:

OK getting 78-80 vac accross black and white coming out of the ceiling still connected to the fan. Must be the wall switch right?

Customer:

Let me check that again

Craig :

yes it sounds like it

Craig :

go back to the wall switch and verify what is coming in

Craig :

and what is going up top fan out of the switch

Craig :

important here to find which way to proceed

Craig :

Check in and then out of wall switch

Craig :

to white wire

Craig :

black to white and red to white

Customer:

OK think I may have found it. I'm getting a full 120 vac on the in side of switch to white. When I turn the switch on and check the out side to white I'm only getting 90 or so. Probably bad wall switch? Probably 40 years old.

Craig :

Is it just a regular switch? It's not a dimmer is it?

Craig :

If it's a switch it's bad

Craig :

You can bypass the switch and see if the fan and lights work...? Turn off the power to do this

Craig :

use a circuit breaker

Customer:

Yeah, just a regular switch Let me try to bypass the switch

Craig :

Yes try that

Customer:

That was it! First time for me. thanks for the help!

Craig :

Great we did it!

Craig :

Glad to help

Craig :

Please press accept for my assistance

Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.