Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Hello..I have a sperry dm-210A multimeter, and the directions

Hello..I have a sperry dm-210A multimeter, and the directions are horrible! I need help with it!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Is this a digital multimeter? If so you have 3 holes for inserting the probe leads . For all readings you need 2. The one marked common is used for all teat. The others are one for voltage (VAC) and Resistance (omega symbol).
With the probes in the proper jack and the setting on the dial for the range, you'll be able to take reading between two points. To verify the resistance setting, you need to touch the probes together and it will read 00.0.

One very important thing - Always check for voltage before testing for resistance. If you don't you may burn the fuse or fry the meter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is is 4 function..volts, current, resistance, and battery....Firstly, I am trying to determine continuity on a 24v t-stat line (which category is that? where do the probe leads go?

The dumb directions DO NOT match the printed indicators/settings on unit...

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Continuity is done on the resistance scale with the probes in the common and the Omega jacks. As I stated before with the probes touched to gether the reading is ZERO, this is continuity.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The resistance scale is marked, from the top off position, 2m, 200k, 20k, 2k, 200 and what appears to be a volume symbol..which would I choose for a low volt. line, and for a closed circuit, what might I expect for a reading? How about an open circuit?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
For continuity any of the setting will do. They will all read "ZERO" when there is continuity. For resistance of a specific amount the setting would need to corespond. If say you a checking for an amount of resistance so as to not peg the needle you would start with the highest setting and move down till the reading was that which you could read on the graduated scale.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry. but I'm confused..that is opposite of what I would expect...let me get a little more specific...I have a remote T-sat coming from a heating zone, and I have the tstat jacked up high, but it is not operating a zone valve..I have reason to believe that someone at some point connected the wrong tstat wire to the zone vavle termial on the zone with the Tstat calling for heat, (thus closing the circuit), would I NOT expect to see a reading other than 0.00??
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
You asked for the setting for continuity. That is what ZERO reading on the resistance setting is. Continuity is the same as putting the probes together. It indicates that the circuit is closed and without resistance when you touch 2 points. If you are checking for low voltage that is different. As I said always check for voltage firest, so you don't damage the meter. For the low voltage of 24VAC, you'll set the meter to VAC on the lowest setting above the voltage you expect and the probes in the common and VAC jacks. With the probes you'll touch the 2 points on the t-stat and there will either be a voltage reading or not. This is done with the wires attached and the circuit on as far as you know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago. let me get this lead into com, red into what the meter labels a 'V'...the scale is 600, 200 (in red) followed by 200, 20 an 2 (in black) I will be selecting 200, I or red? the red v has a solid wavy line..(dc?) the black V has a straight black line and a dashed black line under it (ac?)....

so if the tstat line is ok, and the zone is calling for heat (closed circuit) I should see a # XXXXX where around 24...if I don't see a number, or zero, either the line is broken, it is not the line leading to the wall Tstat, or the Tstat itself is broken...correct?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
If you show 24V with the t-stat set to the highest setting then the circuit is OK and the T-stat may be defective, Remove the wires from the T-stat and test the wires or terminal on it. Set the meter to resistance with the probes in the common and Omega jacks and while moving the temp setting you'll see the reading fluctuate when you hit the closed contact of the t-stat.