Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

i am putting 2 sump pumps in a pit, and there is only one circuit

i am putting 2 sump pumps in a pit, and there is only one circuit available at the panel - 20 amp. the old system ran this way for a long time, and i am using the same equiptment. my question is, is this ok? and how do i set up the gfi for each pump, so if on trips the other will work?

Rich :

Hello .. I would say that you copuld run the two pumps on one 20 amp circuit

Rich :

look at the name plate of the pumps and see what the amperage rating is for the pumps .. let me know

Customer:

amp rating is 10.7 on each pump, and they were set up with a gfi for each pump. it is important that if one gfi trips the other will not. is this possible? can i have one lead from the panel and run 2 pumps, and have one get shut down and the other one keep going? also, is it ok to cut off the plugs and hard wire to the gfi's?

Rich :

OK .. NO you should have these pumps connected with the cord and plug .. that covers the local disconnect rules in the code

Rich :

Yes you can wire the GFI receptacles independently .. just connect the GFI's using the "line" terminals only

Customer:

ok. so i will have to cut plug, feed through pvc and then put plug back on? is this amperage too much? ok with gfi's.

Rich :

my concern is that the amperage of both pumps puts you over the allowable amperage for that 20 amp circuit ..

Customer:

can i put a larger capacity breaker in? it's a

Rich :

where is the pvc?

Rich :

The breaker is sized to protect the wires from overloading ,, so no .. #12 wire = 20 amp breaker

Customer:

100 foot run and i don't want to try and fish it through. pvc or conduit goes from hole to gfi's.

Customer:

so i should run wire for a seperate circuit for each pump?

Rich :

yes that would be the correct installation .. a 20 amp circuit for each GFI for each pump

Customer:

ok, i will do it. the last guy did it all wrong. is it ok to cut the plug and then put it back on?

Rich :

you may be able to use a tandem breaker ,,, two handles in one space .. to get space in your panel for the extra breaker for the second pump

Customer:

there is already a second breaker there. the last guy didn't use it for some reason.

Rich :

yes yopu cat cut plug and put another on the cord .. but the PVC may not be necessary .. or maybe using a bigger size pipe would allow the cord cap to p[ass thru

Rich :

OK .. when connecting the GFI receptacle .. be sure to use the "line" terminals

Customer:

it has to go thru a small hole in the concrete too. this is a hole in the side of the sump pit. i don't want to increase the size if poss.

Rich :

OK .. I see

Customer:

i think i understand everything now. you have been great. thanks. i am going to click accept. is there any way to save this conversation?

Customer:

oh, do you just add the amps up to know the overall load?

Rich :

not sure about saving .. I would use the old cut and paste method ,, highlight , click copy .. and then paste it to your notebook .. that always works for me

Rich :

yes .. for a circuit you basically add the rated amperages of the appliances or devices on that circuit

Customer:

there is a save and exit button at the bottom of my screen. that is probably what it's for. ok...thanks again. until next time.