Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

Hey, My ceiling fan stopped working. It worked for years fine.

Customer Question

Hey, My ceiling fan stopped working. It worked for years fine. It used both wall and remote.
It was crackling and had electrical smell. I replaced wall switch. It worked for awhile. Now nothing.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, I have a MM.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
That will work. Set it to 300VAC Scale and with the dimmer full bright, test to ground for 120V., then do the same at the feed of the transformer. Check the transformer for nameplate voltage output rating and check the output. Let me know what your reading are.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a basic meter. Circuit Breaker off. Fan nametag 120/60 hrz,2 amp 180 watts
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about the transformer mention. That was for anothe question I was working on.

1. Check the voltage on the output of the switch, Hot to ground on both terminations.
  2. Check the voltage at the connections of the receiver to ground.
  3. Check the white wire at the receiver to the hots for voltage
  4. Check the output wires from the receiver to the fan and light.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry Mike I'm not real comfortale with the mm. I tripped the breaker.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
The best tester to use is a Volt/Con. It has no settings and does voltage and continuity with an audible alert on both. They are available at any home center for around $20.00.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Let me know when you're ready to continue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hey Mike, I have a con. switch on my mm. From the ceiling I have red/bk/white. Fan blue/bk/wh.. My wall switch has con..
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
That's good but for now we need voltage readings as suggested before. We may need continuity, but for now only voltage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, you're right you did say that I still have a mm. I'm to try again. With the CB off. I dont have 300 Vac, I have 200 or 600. Is the fan "the receiver"?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
The 200 VAC setting will be fine. You'll need to have the breaker on for the voltage tests. The reciever is the plastic box with the wires taht connect the fan to the house wiring. If it was after market, it will more than likely be in the canopy. It will have a black and white wire on one end and a balck, blue or red and a white on the other end.