Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

CEILING FAN - TRYING TO WIRE A TWO FUNCTION CONTROL. UP AT

CEILING FAN - TRYING TO WIRE A TWO FUNCTION CONTROL. UP AT THE FAN DO I KEEP THE BLACK AND BLUE WIRE FROM THE FAN AND LIGHT TIED TO THE BLACK? AND THE WHITE TO THE WHITE?
ALSO - AT THE TWO FUNCTION CONTROL - HOW DO I WIRE IT? IT'S A "BROAN" NuTONE MODEL P68W.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Mike :

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer.com!

Once you've joined the chat, please post a short message using the reply box below to let me know you're ready to begin.

Customer:

READY

Mike :

Hi... just a moment, please, while I access the specs on your switch.

Mike :

Ok... that is just a stack switch (2 switches in one) not a remote/rf type device... For this to work, you'll need to have the necessary wiring, which would be a black, red, white, and ground in the ceiling box. From the sound of things, you just have a black, white, and ground. Is that correct?

Customer:

YES

Mike :

I see... so, unfortunately, you're not going to be able to use separate switches to control the fan and light. You can use this switch, or the standard switch that was installed before. You'll just have one switch that controls both the fan and light at the same time. That is, of course, unless you want to run a new wire from the fan to the switch box.

Customer:

THANKS

Mike :

I'm glad to help. Sorry it didn't turn out like you probably had hoped. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Customer:

I WILL

Customer:

BYE

Mike :

Please feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have to make sure you have a good understanding of the information and/or solution I've provided. Otherwise, please click the Accept button if you're happy with my service; that's the only way I'm paid for my time in assisting you. Thank you and have a great rest of your day/evening!