Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

I have a Leeson 3 hp single phase/cap.start/cap.run-220v electric

Customer Question

I have a Leeson 3 hp single phase/cap.start/cap.run-220v electric motor that I would like to know how to wire.There are 4 wires comeing out of the motor,two 12 or 14 gauge wires one blue and one brown(that I presume are the two hots L1&L2) and then there are
two smaller 18 or 20 gauge wires along side of the blue and brown wires that are black &
purble.It is these smaller two wires that I am not sure what to do with.The black wire is attached to the thicker gauge brown wire inside the wireing compartment of the motor,which those two wires are attached to a thick gauge yellow wire and then the yellow wire goes into that centrifical switch plate at the back of the motor.A yellow thick gauge wire comes out of the centrf. switch plate and is attatched to the thiner gauge purble wire and that purble wire exits the motor. The thicker gauge blue wire is attached to two thick gauge yellow wires and then those yellow wires go into the motor and the blue exits the motor. I hope I gave you enough info on the motor so you can tell
me where the thinner gauge black and purble wires go?There are 4 wires coming out of motor-two thick gauge wires one brown and one blue,and two thinner gauge wires one black and one purble.Can u help me?
i

i
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Connect the #12 wire leads to the feed and depending on the rotation you want connect the #14 the same or reversed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lets say that the thicker gauge wires are L1-brown & L2 blue.no ground going into motor.Seeings how the smaller gauge black wire is attatched to the brown wire then when I connect the brown wire to L1 that will make the black wire hot on L1.To connect the black wire at this time to L2 would be a direct short.So the quistion is where do I connect the smaller gauge purple wire that is connected to a thicker gauge yellow that comes out of the motor,then the purble wire exits the motor.Do I connect it to L1 or L2 or ground and would it be that putting it on one side would be one direction and the other side would be the other direction?And what about the black wire that would be hot on L1what do I do with it?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
In your original question you stated that there are 4 wires for connection on a 220V single phase motor. That's why I gave the answer I did. Now we have additional wires. Please give me an exact count and color of the wires.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are just 4 wires comeing out out of the motor.but these wires are going into the juntion box of the motor and conecting to the yellow wires I mentioned and then the yellow wires are continue to go into the motor itself.But when your looking at the motor there is one cable coming out of the juntion box of the motor that has the 4 wires in it

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
See the link below for wiring info. Scroll down to your motor.

Wiring_Diagrams.pdf (application/pdf Object)
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
On the yellow wires are there any identification markings, like 1,2,3,4,5,8,?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is but I will have to get some glasses on to see them.I will do that and get back with you on this matter.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
As I suspected . The yellow wires are the motor leads and their marking will give me the info in order to get you a wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok here we go.The 2 yellow wires that are connected to the blue wire are labled T4 & T8.The yellow wire that is connected to the brown wire(thick)and the black wire(thin) is labled P1.And then the yellow wire that is connected to the purble wire(thin)is labled P2
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The two yellow wires T4 & T8 go directly into the windings of the motor one in one direction and the other in oposite direction.those 2 wires are connected to the blue wire witch then comes out of the back of the motor as one of the 4 wires coming out of the back of the motor.The yellow P1 wire goes into that swith plate at the back of the motor and the P2 yellow wire seems to come out of that switch blate at the back of the motor.Anyway P1 & P2 are going to that switch blate or maybe its a terminal plate not sure.P1 and P2 are connected to the wires I mentioned earler and then those wire exit the motor making up the rest of the 4 wires coming out of the moter.Did this clear things up for u?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Connect the wires as follows.

L1 - T4 &P1
L2 - T8 &P2

check rotation and if necessary reverse the P1 and P2 wires.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So haveing T4 And T8 together is not right?Can it run with those two wires conected
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
The "P" wires are to the centrifical switch and the cap for starting. They open when the RPM's are as required. The other 2 wires are the ones that power the motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You seem to want more $ for the completion of this mater with me.I think I will take the motor to someone in person and see what they can do for me.

thanks anyway

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
No problem - have a nice day.
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a meter for a test or two? If you're still interested?