Amp Man
Amp Man, Journeyman
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician. 20+ years experience. Journeyman Wireman.
52289118

My ceiling fan pull chain switch does not work. The fan light

My ceiling fan pull chain switch does not work. The fan light switch does. The fan switch is more to the top and I need to know if I must remove the entire fan from the ceiing to repair it? Problems occurred when I reversed the fan's direction. I believe a short occurred when I pulled the chain and there was a loud pop? I have read instructions on replacing the fan light switch, which appears easy. Can't find additional instructions for replacing fan switch.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Amp Man replied 3 years ago.

Amp Man :

I am confused, sorry. Could you explain what your question is?

Customer:

Should I remove the fan in order to replace the fan swithch. Could I get to it's location where I can remove the switch, without taking the fan from the ceiling. How difficult is it?

Amp Man :

Usually you can replace the pull chain switch without removing the fan from the ceiling. Is the pull chain switch located on the upper shroud of the fan? Usually not, because the pull chain is usually under the level of the blades of the fan.

Customer:

It is under the blades

Amp Man :

There should be a cover on that part of the fan from which you can access the pull chain switch. The cover has one or two screws hold it in place.

Amp Man :

screws that hold it in place, sorry

Customer:

I'll try it. I guess if necessary I'll get back with you, okay>

Amp Man, Journeyman
Experience: Licensed Master Electrician. 20+ years experience. Journeyman Wireman.
Expert:  Amp Man replied 3 years ago.
You can always return to this post for more info. regarding your question.
THANKS!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, it took so long. I have the cover off and there are 4 wires connected to this switch. The black wire has "L", which I take that it means it's going to the light. Do I cut all of them. I thought replacements switches only came in 2 or 3 wires?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, it took so long. I have the cover off and there are 4 wires connected to this switch. The black wire has "L", which I take that it means it's going to the light. Do I cut all of them. I thought replacements switches only came in 2 or 3 wires? Edit
Expert:  Amp Man replied 3 years ago.
First mark all the leads. Masking tape will work. Mark a 1, 2, 3 and 4 as needed and put the markers on both sides of where you cut the switch leads. Then you can go ahead and cut the leads out and remove the switch. Try to find one that will match when you go to buy a new one.
Amp Man, Journeyman
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. XXXXX'm sure you're aware, but the switch has 1,2,3,L for the wires.