Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

My ceiling fan will not turn off. It is controlled by a remote

My ceiling fan will not turn off. It is controlled by a remote control only, no switch. The fan is on and won't turn off. However, the light on the fan works and the remote does control the light.
I tried replacing the battery for the remote already and I tried turning off the power to the house. When I turn the power back on, the fan goes back on.
Our fan is a Hampton Bay ceiling fan.

Jason :

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer...

Customer:

hi

Jason :

We get a substantial quantity of questions about the Hampton Bay remote controlled fans. Almost without fail, it is the remote receiver in the fan that fails when the fan won't respond to commands from the remote.

Jason :

I have 3 options for you, relative to solving the issue.

Customer:

please advise

Jason :

I am told that Hampton Bay is very good with providing replacement parts. I have never contacted them myself, but one of our other experts has. He says they sent one of his customers a replacement part free of charge, and no shipping charges. I don't know what your experience with them will be, but here is their number...

Jason :

1-877-527-0313

Jason :

Option 2. You can contact the folks at www.eceilingfans.com. They have practically every part for every fan on the market.

Jason :

Option 3. You can pick up a "universal" replacement kit from Lowe's. It is made by Harbor Breeze. Would you like a link to that item?

Customer:

yes, please provide it to me. also, the number you gave me for Hampton Bay is actually for Home Depot. I haven't been able to find the Hampton Bay phone number through searches either.

Customer:

how do we put the replacement parts in if the fan doesn't stop going?

Jason :

Thank you for letting me know that about the number I provided. I have never dialed it, and I have provided it to many customers. None of them ever let me know that it wasn't actually Hampton Bay. I think I can find a different number for you. You can turn off the breaker for the circuit the fan is on, in order to repair the fan.

Customer:

and any suggestions on how to get the fan to turn off for good right now since it will probably be a day or two before we can go buy the kit? we're wasting so much electricity. Or, is there no way except by turning off the breaker?

Jason :

You said there is no wall switch, correct? Is there a wall box where there would normally be a switch?

Customer:

no wall switch and on wall box.

Customer:

no wall box, i meant to say.

Customer:

a few last questions:

Jason :

Well, you could try to find a box that the circuit travels through, and disconnect it there. But it may be much easier and faster to turn the breaker off, then disconnect the fan, cap off the box wires, then turn the breaker back on.

Customer:

will our current remote work with the new reciever if we replace it? And, is it easy to fix myself or is this something that will be hard if I have no experience with electrical type projects?

Jason :

I found another number for Hampton Bay. 1-800-466-3337

Jason :

Your new receiver will come with a remote if you buy the Lowe's product (I still need to get that link for you).

Customer:

thanks so much. that number is XXXXX home depot. I think Hampton Bay must be out of business or something becuase I can't even find their real website.

Jason :

If you get a Hampton Bay receiver, your existing remote will likely work, you will just need to set the dip switches on both receiver and remote to match. I can walk you through the replacement process once you have the new receiver in hand.

Customer:

if you could provide me with the link that would be wonderful. Also, how do we contact you afterwards once we have it?

Jason :

I don't think Hampton Bay is out of business, but I suspect they prefer a high degree of anonimity. Frankly, I don't like the quality nor the origin of their products. Now, I can add the lack of tech support to that list. I apologize for providing phone numbers that claim to be Hampton Bay, but really aren't. I won't be doing that for any other customers. I'll get that Lowe's link for you now...

Customer:

thanks so much

Jason :

Harbor Breeze remote/receiver Please be advised that this product does not fit in all fans. That is noted on the Lowe's website product page that I linked you to.

Customer:

thanks very much

Jason :

You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

no, that's all

Customer:

thank you.

Jason :

Not a problem at all. If you get a new receiver, any brand, and need help installing it, you can request me by name if you return here.

Jason :

Thank you for the opportunity to help.

Customer:

great. thanks

Customer:

how do I close out?

Jason :

My pleasure. Have a great night.

Jason :

If you have found the information helpful, and want to pay me for my time, you can click Accept.

Jason :

That does not cut off future communication between you and me. You can still return to this thread at a later date.

Customer:

great. thanks